175gr ELD-X load help

I am going to switch to RL33 because when the temperature was in 30's the RL33 still performed where the H870 lost about 80fps so my custom dial was not accurate anymore and therefore rendered useless. I have heard that RL33 is not temperature stable but it was for me. My RL33 load is 86grs with the same COAL averaging near 3220fps out of my 27.5" Barlein with 1-8 twist. I am seriously wondering about abandoning the dial and just using a moa calculator or cheatsheet but you still need to know precisely what velocity your running for it to be accurate.

I am going to switch to RL33 because when the temperature was in 30's the RL33 still performed where the H870 lost about 80fps so my custom dial was not accurate anymore and therefore rendered useless. I have heard that RL33 is not temperature stable but it was for me. My RL33 load is 86grs with the same COAL averaging near 3220fps out of my 27.5" Barlein with 1-8 twist. I am seriously wondering about abandoning the dial and just using a moa calculator or cheatsheet but you still need to know precisely what velocity your running for it to be accurate.

RL33 and RL 50 have proven rather temp stable for me. I haven't been able to document any real difference between warm and cold weather vel's. The biggest thing I see with rl33 is if it isn't really happy with the combo, it might get flaky in the accuracy department. I've given up on RL33 and RL50 in anything but my 300rum using 225grain hdy hpbt pills. I'll be working with slightly faster powders in my 7mm's and my 300rums with 200 grain and under pills.

I have to get back in the game; I pretty much stopped heavy pill l.d. when I didn't get a rifle deer tag last year.

Which of the ELD-X bullets might work (read: be fully stabilized) out of my 26" 7 Rem Mag 1:9.5" twist barrel?
Any input or help will be highly appreciated.
Thanks!

I'm guessing from much experience but I would say 140-150 tops. Go to Berger stabilization calculator and it will tell you precisely. Look up your bullet that your thinking of using, its BC, its length and weight and know your velocity and your done. Also altitude.

The 162 would work fine and that would be about as heavy as I would go if it were me.

New 150 ELD-X would work as well.

Can anybody measure the OAL of the new 150grs ELD-X and post it here?
I'd like to put it in QuickLoad and to see what kind of velocities does it predict.
Using Vit N560 I guess I could get around 3200 fps.
Thanks!

Try posting in the reloading main thread.

Embedding a question like that in the STW thread is going to limit how many users read your post. You'll have better luck getting your answer there vs here.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts