175gr ELD-X load help

dougduey

Has anyone done any load testing with these or can give me some help on powders and COAL? I haven't loaded up anything past a 160gr Accubond, so I'd appreciate any help. I contacted Hornady and they said they haven't done any load development for the 175gr in 7STW and to use the data for their 175gr Interlock. I know Mudrunner is a big fan of IMR 7828(ssc) with the heavy Berger VLD's.
Thanks
Doug

I'm in the same situation. I will probably start with Retumbo because that is what I have the Berger 180 VLD hunting Bullets loaded with. I'll drop the charge some and work back up. I plan to try H1000 as well and ideally would find a load with IMR 7977. Personally my plan is to use posted successful loads for either 180 Berger or 175 ABLR with any of the three powders above drop some and work back up. Hopefully with more becoming available others start loading and posting their data as well.

I'm working with the 175 eld-x with rl26 at around 3.9" oal... gotta play more (and actually remember my good sand bags) before I'm comfortable with the results. I will likely also work with wc 782 and rl50 before I settle on anything.
I would have tried rl33, but I won't use that in any 7mm anymore as it tends to go unstable in cold temps unless you toss a lot of bullet weight on it... even the 195 berger wasn't enough... It (rl33) does work well in my 300rum with 225 hdy pills though...

My STW is a 1:9 twist...any opinions on whether it will stabilize the 175 gr ELD-X?....

My 7mm 175gr boxes say 1:8.5

I'm only guessing but there are a lot of rifles out there that are something other than 8.5 twists. It would be pretty stupid for a company to put out a bullet that would not work in a wide range of barrels.

~Robert

This is with 66.5 gr. Of h1000. In a 1:9.25 26" barrel. The problem I'm having now with the 175 gr. Out of my 7mm magnum. Is my velocitis are all over

Attachments

• 20160506_161616.jpg
    20160506_161616.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 126
My 175 ELD-X's arrived today and this morning I finally got my 195 Berger's to shoot accurately so I am at a loss. I have two loads that work very well for the 195's with velocities just under 3100 fps. I am hoping to get the X's out between 3200-3250. I have a 27.5" Bartlein in 1:8 so I was hoping the 175 would be ultra accurate. I'll start ladder testing this week and let you know what I find.

My STW is a 1:9 twist...any opinions on whether it will stabilize the 175 gr ELD-X? I'm thinking yes because of higher velocities but would like to hear some opinions.

It shouldn't be an issue. I ran data thru a twist calculator and it came out stable. As a side note, the 30 cal 200 gr ELD-X box lists a 1:10 twist or faster is recommended. My Sako 75 in 300 WSM iS a 1:11 twist. I had no problem finding a sub moa load and the twist calculator said it would be stable. So, I believe hornady is just stating what they feel is a "recommended" twist rate.

Every bullet company is going to make a "safe" recommendation on twist to cover their ***. So when they say 1-8.5 for the 175...that will likely stabilize out of an 18" barreled 7mm-08 @0F in the bottom of death valley at 2200 fps.

I'm sure the STW will have no problems with them at normal elevations and 1-9 twist barrels.

With 88 grains of H870 my 175 ELD-x's are very accurate and running around 3220fps. I tried 88.5 which ran 3260 and 89 grains which ran about 3310. the 88,5 were very accurate as well but I loaded 20 at 88 for long range testing. The coal as 3.74

bitbythebug: I think you may be a bit high on pressure with that 195 gr. load! I would certainly double check it. Even though it might come out of the chamber ok, these fairly straight cases don't always show pressure well. Have you fired a factory load and measured the brass verses your load?
Just saying, don't want anyone getting hurt.

I have abandoned the 195's in favor of the 175's because of my lack of confidence in Berger bullets at shorter than 400 yard ranges. I have two premium draw hunts this fall and feel better with the ELd-X's than with the Bertger's. We have done penetration and expansion tests with both bullets and the Bereger worries me and I don't want to spend days trying to get a shot and then having something go wrong. Just my OCD coming out.

With 88 grains of H870 my 175 ELD-x's are very accurate and running around 3220fps. I tried 88.5 which ran 3260 and 89 grains which ran about 3310. the 88,5 were very accurate as well but I loaded 20 at 88 for long range testing. The coal as 3.74

Are you saying this was in a sendero 1 in 9.25 twist??? If so that is helpful if I can find the powder???
THanks
ODAVID

ok I reread the previous comments "I have a 27.5" Bartlein in 1:8 so I was hoping the 175 would be ultra accurate. I'll start ladder testing this week and let you know what I find." Your results are still showing helpful suggestion to try.
ODAVID

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.