12GA Rounds for Grizz?

said he saw numerous bears run 60 seconds up the mountain after being shot before expiring. Upon skinning their heart was jelly.

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^is exactly why I speak of CNS hits and self preservation being about cool head and shot placement verse the old I have 10 rounds and will spray and pray

TSS buckshot, and Brenneke slugs, in a field proven Remington 870 12ga pump shotgun.

If you have time to get off shots, and can't kill any bear on planet earth with this shotgun and ammo, you might better avoid interior grizzly bear, and coastal brown bears.

This recommendation is for bear defense. Not bear hunting.

Last edited:
Look at Tri-Ball loads.... I believe Dixie slug still sells them or roll your own. 3" shell loaded with 3- 315 grain hard cast round ball for a total pay load of 945 grains. When loaded properly, the 3 balls will still be in about a hand size group at 40 yards. I can't recommend buckshot anymore after seeing dismal results a few times......once was a black bear at a range of feet. I think you can get good results with it "most" of the time which isn't enough for me, especially with bears.
I think dixie slugs is out of business because the owner died. They also made a hardcast slug that would have been perfect. I think it was called the Dixie Terminator. It was a 1.75 ounce hard cast slug with a muzzle velocity of 1200fps, I think. Sounds extremely painful to shoot.

1648239391065.png

Thread needed a little humor, but there is another possibility if you have deep pockets. For $1800, buy a Beretta A400 Extreme Plus 12 gauge. Best if you don't cut the stock, but saw down the barrel to 18" as they currently do not offer a slug barrel. The action is called "blink technology" and with 4 in the magazine, you can be empty in just over a second. That's 5 rounds total. I believe there are after market tube extensions as well. This gun eats up to 3 1/2" magnum shells and the hydraulic shocks in the stock soak up 60-70% of the recoil. Using both 2 3/4" and 3" shells, I can do a double tap. I got one last year as getting older, and having torn my rotator twice, was limiting my abilities. Comes with 5 screw in chokes, a hard carrying case, and is very light for a twelve. With regular field loads, it kicks like a 410, no joke.

It's get to be a hell of a lot to carry. They make a very shot 12ga shotgun, but it takes a class 3 lic. Go luck on that.
There are numerous shorty shoties that don't require Class 3. Mossy Shockwaves (yes, you can hit accurately with a Crimson Trace LaserSaddle or EoTech and practice), Kalashnikov USA Komrad, and many more.

The biggest gun you are comfortable with and can shoot accurately. My first time in grizzly country that was a Sig in .40 cal. The first 4-5 turned him and the last 10-11 were because he was still moving and the mag wasn't empty. The last 2-3 were at less than 5 feet as he came by me. It still took a 300 WSM to the head to finish him. The guides never left camp without a pump 12ga after that, they alternated buckshot and slugs.

He trailed the horses and came in on the wind to take the elk we had down. The down side was he came from where the horses were and didn't give us anywhere to go. They are smart, fast, and quite. They can also run downhill no matter what anyone else says.

I took a 10mm with buffalo bore to Alaska, I bought that pistol and practiced with it just for that trip and any others that take me back to their living room.

Attachments

• 7879CF9C-DAD5-4B5B-AE4A-2258AA51DE14.jpeg
    7879CF9C-DAD5-4B5B-AE4A-2258AA51DE14.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 238
  • 8ADF0374-84E9-4E83-9774-12E3AC7F62A2.jpeg
    8ADF0374-84E9-4E83-9774-12E3AC7F62A2.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 232
I probably wont ever do that kind of hunting, but I have a KSG 25 12 Ga pump that holds 10 slugs in one side and 10 Buckshot in the other side and one in the chamber, and feed can be diverted from one side to the other with the flick of a thumb switch. That way you dont have to wait an extra trigger pull before the right shell is in the chamber. If you are hunting at night, you put a parachute flare in the chamber, set it off into the air and then after identifying the target, switch to the magazine of your choice and away you go. You control the battlefield.
It can actually hold 41 rounds if you use the "shorty" shells. If you run out of ammo and still have targets, you probably shouldnt have picked that fight by yourself.....LOL

Ballistic Products has their "Thug Slug" available in most gauges for reloading your own.
It features an attached wad and can be easily be loaded with either a fold or roll crimp.
They offer many other slug components in 12 and 20 sizes; as well as tools, load data, etc.
Look then up online: ballisticproducts.com

Recent Posts