12GA Rounds for Grizz?

Back when I lived in Alaska guys recommended alternating rounds of slug and buck.

Full disclosure: Heard lots of 4th hand stories, but never talked to anyone who actually shot a griz with that combo.

Did talk to a Alaska Fish and Game officer who said that a shotgun was much better than a pistol, but not as good as a rifle. He was the guy responsible for dispatching problem bears so he was in a position to know.

Hey guys, we have a long hunt in the heart of grizzly territory this year in Wyoming
Guessing you're going to either be in Shoshone National Forest or in my neck of the woods, Bridger-Teton National Forest?

Back when I lived in Alaska guys recommended alternating rounds of slug and buck..
When tales are told and opinions are given this is generally the shotgun load that's recommended.
I have an old 870 Police for just this set up. I have yet to use it.

Hey guys, we have a long hunt in the heart of grizzly territory this year in Wyoming (archery)

We will have the call guy carry the short shotgun for defense in the timber.

Curious what rounds everyone uses or suggests would be the best? Slugs? Buck?

Thanks!
The heaviest magnum rifled slugs you can find.

I shot a bunch of Winchester rifled slugs and Remington as well over the years at big hogs and they were devastatingly effective.

Penetration is the key and small projectiles even the size of 00 Buck will give you very limited penetration.

Definitely brennekke black magic if I had to use a shotgun. Personally I think shotguns are only good for burglars, bunnies, and birds. I'd take a rifle every time over a scattergun
A one ounce or larger slug at short range has devastating energy, momentum, and penetration.

Not safe for home defense, too much worry about penetrating walls but Ideal for something trying to eat you.

The idea behind the alternating rounds of slug and buck was that the buckshot to the face of a bear would have decent odds of taking out eyes and scent.

As far as effectiveness at 25, that's why Hans Vang worked my 590A1 over - 25 yard patterns about the size of a pie plate. Nowadays you don't have to send a gun to Hans, you can just buy Federal Flite Control loads which are truly amazing. I have done the testing and you either need a vang comp or Fed Flight Control because buck in a cyl or IC tube will blow out the pattern at about 10-12 yards in most guns.

Again I have never shot a bear in the face with anything.

Last edited:
Elaborating on the comments of the Alaska F&G guy - he gave a bear avoidance/protection presentation that I attended. His job taking out problem bears had involved him shooting dozens of bears. He used a 375 H&H and said even that had its limitations.

I do know a guy that killed one in Montana a few years ago with a 40S&W pistol. He was archery hunting alone.

Know another guy that killed one with his Buck Knife. Not recommended.

The biggest problem with a long gun is keeping it on your person. Lots of stories out there about the gun leaning up against a nearby tree when Mr griz shows up. Our OP essentially has a security detail in his caller carrying protection so not an issue for him.

Last edited:
Another vote for the full bore rifled slugs. I have shot deer with the Brenneke Slugs and I have no doubt that they would have plenty of penetration on a bear. especially at close range. I would also make sure that the plug was out of the shotgun so it would hold more than 3 rounds. Put a sling on the shotgun and make sure it is on your person 100% of the time, or right next to you when you are in a tent. I think if it was me, I'd have it full of the Brenneke K.O slugs and no buckshot. You don't hear of buckshot in a rifle - make the shotgun perform just like the rifle. You want penetration. How many people can shoot a bear in the face when it's charging? Even if you can, you can do a lot of damage with a slug if you hit a bear in the face with one.........

12 gauge 3" magnum with copper plated, buffered OOO-B with alternate loads of copper or plated "deep perpetrator" slugs.
I have killed and witnessed game killed with proper chokes and buckshot loads that were well over 200# and beyond 50-75 yards. Pattern testing different loads can reveal much, but personally, cylinder or IC chokes with plated, buffered shot have given me the best patterns at longer ranges. Unlike smaller shot, tighter chokes tended to deform the large shot and increase spreads at distance.

That said, I am not recommending one use those for said longer shots on dangerous game, and recommend avoidance first and the shotgun for up close defense as needed. YMMV

Last edited: