1 thread too make it simple

ARlife4me

My kids (regardless of age) range from 14-24 years of age and I'm trying to get compound and crossbows for them (not all 6, but for them to share at the moment). Decades ago I use to go compound bow hunting and know a bit more about them (40 years ago it was different). I can't even remember the brand of bow I had, so I need some help on what might be a good choice on both type of bows. Price range for cross is up to $500 and compound $250 (I think that's reasonable for an adjustable 40-70# or higher weight for the older boys). 1 girl (she's 4th in line) with 5 brothers. Better to go by suggestions on here than ratings/reviews from sites. Decocking is a plus for cross's and their main use for now is just target practice, so no need for broadheads.

WOW 6 children! You were a busy guy and probably still are.
There's a few adjustable compound bows out there. Bear and Diamond make adjustable from like 14" draw up to 30".
The downside is all of your children will have different draw length and poundage levels. And for proper form you would need to adjust for each child. I would recommend a lighter draw non compound for sharing since you won't need to adjust draw length and poundage for each.
If they like shooting it I would buy one of the bows mentioned above and they will be covered until adulthood.
Just my .02

Tenpoint makes a great Crossbow , whether or not it meets your criteria is up to you . Check this site out , lots of good people there that will help .

To accommodate the different shooters because of draw length, peep location, and etc., the crossbow is the way to go. Now with that being said, I would stay away from those cheap or bargain basement crossbows. Purchase a good one and save money in the long run. Just so you know, I have a Mission Sub-1 and am very pleased with it. Good luck on your choice.

My kids (regardless of age) range from 14-24 years of age and I'm trying to get compound and crossbows for them (not all 6, but for them to share at the moment). Decades ago I use to go compound bow hunting and know a bit more about them (40 years ago it was different). I can't even remember the brand of bow I had, so I need some help on what might be a good choice on both type of bows. Price range for cross is up to $500 and compound $250 (I think that's reasonable for an adjustable 40-70# or higher weight for the older boys). 1 girl (she's 4th in line) with 5 brothers. Better to go by suggestions on here than ratings/reviews from sites. Decocking is a plus for cross's and their main use for now is just target practice, so no need for broadheads.

will probably be better off, going with the crossbow with such a wide variety of shooters. I'm sure there are many different draw lengths which would make it difficult to shoot the compound bow.

Been thinking about selling because we don't use.
We have a Horton Vision 175 Crossbow that Jill hardly used. She shot a few deer and I shot a few coyotes with NV mounted. It shoots great. Scope has yardage markers and can hit a 2" circle at 60yds. Actually hit the previous shot bolts in target block so would shoot a different spot for each shot. Have the original box and variety of Bolts, machinal broad heads. Just put a new string on it last year. Didn't really need one BUT Archery Shop in Town had a special on tuning Bows so got a new one for almost nothing.
If interested PM and I can take some pictures and work out a price.
Thanks
Len & Jill

If you do decide on a crossbow, string protection safety is number one criteria to protect your children. The forearm MUST have a protector that PREVENTS a hand from sliding up into the crossbow slide area. A crossbow string can remove a finger in eye blink.

Most newer crossbows have a flat shield above the grip to prevent fingers from getting into string area. IMO I would not buy any crossbow without one especially for youngsters not familiar with the dangers of a crossbow. I will bet most older crossbows will not have this feature and IMO stay away from them.

Older or even less expensive crossbows seem to be harder on strings which can be expensive to replace. With a lot of kids shooting, I would take that into consideration for long term costs. Newer more advanced crossbows definitely get more shots out of strings and cables which is the old "you can pay me now or you can pay me later" thought. Lubrication helps a bunch but still older crossbows are still harder on strings and cables than newer crossbows.

IMO, can't go wrong with Mission or Ten Point crossbow. Good luck!

4 have virtually the same draw and can draw the same weight (65-70# as it's the only standard bow in use). This helps out. No finger guards on a saddle horn when dallying, so I'll keep that in mind on crossbows also. Thanks! I'll check these brands and check back on what you'll have to say.