It ain't a Tac-15, but it's mine!

specweldtom

I just traded for a Horton Legend SL. I've never shot a crossbow, but this was a painless way to get one. Online, Horton says they're discontinued, and I didn't find out much about them. (crappy on computers).

Will appreciate any wisdom, experience with them, specs would be good too. Draw weight, correct arrow length and spine, velocity with the right arrow, proper care, etc. I'll try to shoot it in the next few days if I can get stuff together. I don't expect much, but we'll see.

Thanks, Tom

I haven't had a chance to shoot the crossbow yet, but I had emailed Horton for any info on it.

One of their techs sent me a spec sheet with all the performance data. He also sent a Horton complete owners manual for it.

I don't know how the bow will do, but their customer service is sure good.

Tom

I'm pretty new to this too. I've got a couple crossbows that my wife shoots. She just got a ten point after last season. Haven't shot it yet, but it's about time. Also have an old pse recurve crossbow. Let me know how your's turns out.

I intended to go shoot the thing with JE Custom tomorrow, but turns out I'll be doing Dr. visits with the BOSS. Maybe Friday. I've rounded up some 400gr, 440gr, 465gr, and 498gr arrows. All are 20" and all have 100gr field points. I'll post how it goes.

Tom

There's an old saying in Texas, "Even a blind hog can find a acorn ever once in awhile". Looks like a good week for blind hogs!

JE set up a target, and I shot a few 400gr aluminum XX75's (with 100gr field points installed) at 10 yds to check and set the pin location. I then tried the 498gr Carbon Strike arrows. Much quieter and more penetration. With the pin re-adjusted to 1 1/2" high at 20 yds, it shoots 2" high at 10 yds, and with 3 clicks in the aperture rear sight, dead center at 30 yds. We didn't shoot it at 40 yds. I sat in a camp chair and used a monopod shooting stick under the forearm. It shoots as good as I can out to 30 yds. About 1" avg groups when I do my part.

It's surprisingly easy to cock with the cocking rope, and has a nice let-up about 2/3rds of the way back. The best of the arrows I've tried so far (all 20"), are the carbon fiber Hortons with 5" vanes. They are the 498gr ones. (with 100gr field points installed). Neither of us could track the arrows, but they're too accurate, and stick straight into the target, to be fish-tailing very much.

I found some Satellite 3 blade 90gr broadheads with replaceable blades that should work just fine. I'll have to check the zero with them, but I expect they'll impact real close to the 100gr field points.

I still would like to have a Tac 15, but this one ain't bad, and will do for a while. The Legend has been discontinued, but if its successors are as good as it is, I can recommend them.

Good hunting, Tom

Tom

Shot the 440gr, 465gr, and the 498's at 20 yds. The sight is still zero'd 1 1/2" high with the 498gr arrows. Discovered that all 3 weights shoot into the same p.o.i. at 20 yds. Didn't expect that. Also didn't expect the arrows to penetrate 11" of a compressed layered foam target and punch 3 neat holes in the steel siding of my storage building (safety backstop). I stopped at 3 because the 2nd and 3rd arrows were so close that the vanes were touching. That's when I found the holes in the siding.

I'll move out to 30, 40, and 50 yds if I can figure out a safer (and bigger) safety backstop for my backyard. I have no zero's past 30 yds. Also haven't shot it with broadheads yet.

I'm very impressed with what could have been a junker for all I knew.

Tom

I shot the Horton at 40 yds this evening. Can't shoot 50 because the rear peep sight runs out of elevation at 9 clicks. I can't lower the pin, but I could put a second pin in for 40 and 50 yds. Using the 498gr arrows, elevation is dead on to maybe 2" low. Shooting on a Trigger Stick monopod, it hits on call every time and 15 arrows held about 3". I know the bow is better than that. If I get brave, I'll set up and shoot through my chronograph at 40 yds to see what the remaining velocity is. I could then calculate energy, and if I knew how, momentum. Penetration averaged 8" in a bag target that wasn't shot up. Not very precise, but the arrow is still moving too fast for me to pick up in flight. Our local Academy store has some lighted crossbow nocks. they're a little pricey, but I may have to break down and try one.

I hesitate to add a pin because I'm simple, and I like simple. The way it is, I can't pick up the wrong pin, because there's only one.

I could check it out with some of the lighter, faster arrows. They would shoot flatter, and might make it to 50 yds on the top click, but I very much doubt it, and I prefer the heavier arrows, so probably won't.

I almost have a monopoly on my own thread, but maybe this info will help someone like me that has no experience with crossbows.

Good hunting, Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.