Shooting with Waffen Krauser - Munchen double rifle

Marplot

I like unusual firearms. Here is our 1973 Waffen-Krausser Munchen double rifle 9.3x74R and combo barrel 16g with 7x65R.

I really like shooting both. I have a good recoil pad (Limbsaver) and though there is recoil with the 9.3x74R, it is manageable. But the Kahle scope is good for hunting, but I am more of a target shooter. The way the scope is mounted with a Shule Claw. See the picture. A 6x is not too good for precision target. I am trying to find a claw mount that I can use a more modern scope. I do not want to modify the gun.

It is accurate and I am making 4" groups at 75yds. But would like better. Just can't see the target circle as well as I would like. I do have a set trigger that helps.

I see there is help in shooting here and will study. I am poorly self taught and am just getting back into shooting with a hiatus of about 40 years and was never all that good back when.

Attachments

• 17737914_3.jpg
    17737914_3.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 120
  • Waffen-Krausser-Munchen-double-rifle-9-3X74R-AND-combination-rifle-barrel-7X65R-16GA-2-34-both...jpg
    Waffen-Krausser-Munchen-double-rifle-9-3X74R-AND-combination-rifle-barrel-7X65R-16GA-2-34-both...jpg
    279 KB · Views: 123
  • Waffen-Krausser-Munchen-double-rifle-9-3X74R-AND-combination-rifle-barrel-7X65R-16GA-2-34-both...jpg
    Waffen-Krausser-Munchen-double-rifle-9-3X74R-AND-combination-rifle-barrel-7X65R-16GA-2-34-both...jpg
    368.5 KB · Views: 111
  • Negrini case (4).JPG
    Negrini case (4).JPG
    309.4 KB · Views: 119
always fun guns to gut and play with, lots of makers doing a little "look what I can do" internally. always wanted to see a 410/22 hornet combo.
claw Mounts are fit from blanks to your gun and if you get out under $1000 to get them and have them fit to your scope you did good. I can recommend a couple of people if you're interested.

always fun guns to gut and play with, lots of makers doing a little "look what I can do" internally. always wanted to see a 410/22 hornet combo.
claw Mounts are fit from blanks to your gun and if you get out under $1000 to get them and have them fit to your scope you did good. I can recommend a couple of people if you're interested.
Please recommend. I tried NEC but didn't seem they were interested.

Attachments

• 17737914_3.jpg
    17737914_3.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 37
    123.9 KB · Views: 40
Please recommend. I tried NEC but didn't seem they were interested.
It's almost like a special mount pic rail that accommodates the claw mounts on the rifle. With a pic rail you can mount rings that can accommodate a modern scope. It would end up looking like a cantilever in the reverse with the overhang in the rear.
Regardless it would be a custom job off of a CNC machine or metal printing set up.
It can be done but some shop that could do it would need the same dedication you have.
My final question is, can this rifle shoot better than +/- moa at 75 yards? If not, leave it as is. It's so unique!

It's almost like a special mount pic rail that accommodates the claw mounts on the rifle. With a pic rail you can mount rings that can accommodate a modern scope. It would end up looking like a cantilever in the reverse with the overhang in the rear.
Regardless it would be a custom job off of a CNC machine or metal printing set up.
It can be done but some shop that could do it would need the same dedication you have.
My final question is, can this rifle shoot better than +/- moa at 75 yards? If not, leave it as is. It's so unique!
I think it is best to leave it as it is. I don't want it ugly!

I think you will end up leaving well enough alone and keeping it as is. Those claw mounts need to be fit to each gun so it is a process. I used to own and shoot drillings and many combo rifles, but ran into the same issue, and with my poor vision it lost all the fun. I had a buddy that suggested I get a twist on locking magnifier for my 6x scope, and he said that option would work, but I never looked into it as I had "lost interest" and by then had sold my favorite ones. If a lock on magnifier exists that would hold under recoil, that might be your best option. I hope I am not sending you on a wild goose chase.

Interesting idea. Looking up magnifiers. But what I see fits on a Picatinny? Looking further. Thanks for the idea!

My scopes may have threads. But it would need to be really strong. My 9.3x74R does kick a bit! <grin>

"Confidence is solid and quiet. Arrogance comes from insecurity and screams."

Last edited:

That might/might not be what you need, but there is a "Contact us" link. That might get you in touch with someone knowledgeable enough to help you. If they can't help, it might head you towards someone who can.

...,or these people...

Very close. I have downloaded Recknagel Catalog 12 and see page 21. Looks close, but I can't really bridge the gap. The rings seem to not have the claw foots on them. Looks like a vary good machine shop needed.

It is frustrating since German technology to mount claws to scopes should have a simple way to get rings that have claw foot on them. There are even extensions where the rear foot can be extended for proper eye relief.

Please download the Katalog 12 and see page 21. How can I work from there? https://www.recknagel.de/en/info-service/catalog/
Trying to read the German/English hurts my brain!

I am reaching out to Kahles and see if they can help.

Please stay with me!

Last edited:

Recent Posts