German Claw Mounts

Marplot

I have several guns with German Claw Mounts. These are rock solid and quick detachable. BUT I can't find how I can mount a Weaver or Picatinny. See, the picture how the claw mounts hold the Kahle scope. The Kahle has rails on it

NEC has claw mounts, but takes difficult machining to make them fit.

I do not want to modify a vintage/antique but want a more modern 'scope. Any ideas? There MUST be a claw mount that sports a picatinny or weaver base!

Attachments

• 17737914_3.jpg
    17737914_3.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 78
  • Waffen-Krausser-Munchen-double-rifle-9-3X74R-AND-combination-rifle-barrel-7X65R-16GA-2-34-both...jpg
    Waffen-Krausser-Munchen-double-rifle-9-3X74R-AND-combination-rifle-barrel-7X65R-16GA-2-34-both...jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 82
heathen.
But seriously, seen plenty of claw Mounts but never a Pic or modern adapter done on one. suppose it's possible with enough money

My understanding is claw mounts are hand-fitted and tolerances vary enough to make mass-production impossible.
Above post is likely correct- sure, it COULD be done with enough $$ thrown at it- but unless money is literally no object the cost for custom machining a one-off would be prohibitive. This is likely why no one offers it commercially.

heathen.
But seriously, seen plenty of claw Mounts but never a Pic or modern adapter done on one. suppose it's possible with enough money
I may take the upper mounts from one of my Kahle scopes and get some machine work done. Kahle is the most important scopes in Europe above Swarovski. But mine are now old tech.

well, now that I'm thinking about it, and this is a bad idea but here we go...
you have fitted Mounts, you don't like the scope setup. not sure what that boutique scope is worth on the secondary market but if you found the right drillings owner maybe something. scope done.

now you have fitted Mounts and no scope. cut Mounts and tap them for a Pic rail, buy a Pic rail blank and drill/tap it for your Mounts.

now you've ruined the mounts and it's ghetto but it's a Pic rail the cheapest way I can think to do it.

keep in mind on a drillings your rail would have to extend way back for good eye relief and if you plan on removing the rail with a scope mounted then you have to account for mount tilt on your ring height so when removing the setup the scope doesn't hit the barrels and not clear its release point.

I feel a little dirty even suggesting it and if it had been a project that hit my bench there would have been a long conversation with the client about why not to do it but if it's dumb and you're happy is it so wrong

well, now that I'm thinking about it, and this is a bad idea but here we go...
you have fitted Mounts, you don't like the scope setup. not sure what that boutique scope is worth on the secondary market but if you found the right drillings owner maybe something. scope done.

now you have fitted Mounts and no scope. cut Mounts and tap them for a Pic rail, buy a Pic rail blank and drill/tap it for your Mounts.

now you've ruined the mounts and it's ghetto but it's a Pic rail the cheapest way I can think to do it.

keep in mind on a drillings your rail would have to extend way back for good eye relief and if you plan on removing the rail with a scope mounted then you have to account for mount tilt on your ring height so when removing the setup the scope doesn't hit the barrels and not clear its release point.

I feel a little dirty even suggesting it and if it had been a project that hit my bench there would have been a long conversation with the client about why not to do it but if it's dumb and you're happy is it so wrong
This picture is one of my least valuable scopes. I Might could get it off and cobble something where the scope rings could fit on a modern scope. It is possible the rings are soldered on. But even if I could make myself make it work, it might fit only one gun as the claw mounts are made for each gun. (Maybe)

I have quotes for as much as $2000 to make something work. But I cringe to do this with my vintage guns.

There are some German forums and will reach out for their help.

The center rib is hollow because there is a rod that goes through to pop up the rear leaf site. I don't think the center rib is not super strong and would not hold for tapping screws to hold a Pic or Weaver mount.

Attachments

• Waffen-Krausser-Munchen-double-rifle-9-3X74R-AND-combination-rifle-barrel-7X65R-16GA-2-34-both...jpg
    Waffen-Krausser-Munchen-double-rifle-9-3X74R-AND-combination-rifle-barrel-7X65R-16GA-2-34-both...jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 17737914_3 - Copy.jpg
    17737914_3 - Copy.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 36
They have modern rail mounts or blanks to fit to your gun. If you can't find what you need, e-mail them. If nothing else, buy the parts you need from them and have New England Custom Guns fit them for you.

They have modern rail mounts or blanks to fit to your gun. If you can't find what you need, e-mail them. If nothing else, buy the parts you need from them and have New England Custom Guns fit them for you.
Am in touch with them. Trying to get an upper mount set that could hold a Picatinny rail. Not working out. I may have to send the barrel so they can fit it. Takes a lot of machine work.

It would seem to me that I could have a front claw mount with a ring and similar rear mount, still trying. Reaching out to people in Slovenia, Germany and Hungary. Breakopen guns are popular in Europe and claw mounts may need to be fitted to each gun.

But may work anyhow. I can pay the price ($500-$1000) IF they would work out on my gun, but if not, they have a questionable return policy.

Currently, present mounts have dovetail on scope. See picture. Maybe a modern scope (in Europe) could fit my bases. It seems this SHOULD work, somehow.

Attachments

• 17737914_3.1.jpg
    17737914_3.1.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
NECG made some for me to match my existing Euro claw mounts back in 2002. Only wish I had them made for 30mm tube. Mine were made for 1" tube scope. Beautiful job - $600. Not picatinny type though. Lets me swap between 1-6 and longer range scope in seconds with no POI change on my 300 Wby.

NECG made some for me to match my existing Euro claw mounts back in 2002. Only wish I had them made for 30mm tube. Mine were made for 1" tube scope. Beautiful job - $600. Not picatinny type though. Lets me swap between 1-6 and longer range scope in seconds with no POI change on my 300 Wby.
how do i ask them to do the same for me? did you have to send your barrel to them?