German Weatherby Mark V rebuild questions!

JBD91

My grandfather recently gave me his German '64 Mark V deluxe in a 300 Wby mag. The gun has some wear and tear due to hunting trips in Colorado and Montana over the years. Stock has some chunks in it and the barrel has lost much of its blueing. Also, I feel like he had the barrel cut down because it only measures to approx. 24 inches with the accubrake. I would like to have it re-barreled to a 26" and the action cleaned up by Pac Nor as they are fairly close to home and then put a new weatherby style stock by Mcmillan on it. I haven't considered changing the caliber. Is it worth the time and money to get this thing cleaned up and turned into a nice elk gun or should I just keep storing it?

My grandfather recently gave me his German '64 Mark V deluxe in a 300 Wby mag. The gun has some wear and tear due to hunting trips in Colorado and Montana over the years. Stock has some chunks in it and the barrel has lost much of its blueing. Also, I feel like he had the barrel cut down because it only measures to approx. 24 inches with the accubrake. I would like to have it re-barreled to a 26" and the action cleaned up by Pac Nor as they are fairly close to home and then put a new weatherby style stock by Mcmillan on it. I haven't considered changing the caliber. Is it worth the time and money to get this thing cleaned up and turned into a nice elk gun or should I just keep storing it?

I would recommend that you leave it like it is if it will shoot well enough because of sentimental
value.

If you want to improve it, then definitely re barrel it with a custom barrel. Weatherby stocks are normally very good wood and with a little effort can be very beautiful.

The 300 Weatherby is a very capable round and if you wanted to step it up, you could go to the 340 Weatherby Mag (A .338 cal) with little or no change to the action.

The mark 5 Weatherby action is a great action and makes a great custom.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts