Cold Bore fliers

Is there a significant difference in the heavy and slimmer CFW contours?
My son has, the Heavy Contour Proof, 24 inch, in 7 MM PRC, Tikka Action, Stocky's Carbon stock and with, Near Max Loads of, StaBall HD, W/ 180 ELD-M's @ 2,985 FPS, can obtain, groups from, 1/2 MOA down to, .314 ( Ctr to Ctr ) with,.. 5 Shots.
He slowly shoots, 3 shots,.. WAITS, a few minutes then, 2 more,.. it's NOT,.. "Rocket Science" for, Us

Shooting the NRA Hi Power, eons & eons ago - standing, 200 yards.1st & 2nd sighters - no more cold clean bore for next 50 for score.

I always clean & inspect rifles after use, like squeaky clean bores, then degrease bore with 93% alcohol & tight clean patches, a patch dampened in carburetor cleaner works better to remove high grade oil film formulated to protect & lube. Stainless is nice.

Important hunting, clean rifle at range then shoot 2-5, then go hunting for some big beast.

Rodents, clean bore, shoot a few not so far away, then look for a trophy shot many yards away (low pressure - there usually is another one out there. .

Idaho Lefty hit the nail on the head, in my experience....quality barrels eliminate issues. I clean and degrease like Hugnot. I can not recall a Hart, Krieger, Brux, Muller barrel that threw Radical shots on the first cold bore shot in properly bedded stocks, and I run a muzzle break on every rifle, twisted properly. The rifles all shoot tiny groups. A first shot out of the clean barrel will usually be .3 out of the group, but if were to throw a shot 1.5" out, that barrel would be scrapped.

I fire three shots on a squeeeeky clean bore prior to hunting as a matter of good gun handling practice.

Much of the "thrown" shots that NON competitive shooters experience is from having too much coffee or just not being settled down. I was advised to sit at the bench and observe wind conditions prior to firing for five minutes(heart rate will settle down), then when I get on the gun, I dry fire several times aiming at the target as if I were firing a group, watching where cross hair ends up after the shot(follow through). My shooting improved significantly when using this discipline.

A very experienced Long Range gunsmith(now passed on) advised me that contours smaller than a #5 are prone to more "issues".

When a load is out of "tune", expect all kinds of issues, same thing with bullets of suspect quality.

Anybody tested Tubb bore lube on a clean barrel? I ran 2 dry patches after it, and my fouler was right in the middle of all the others in a group. My first attempt with mono's from my 7 PRC was pretty promising at 100yds.
I attempted to start perfectly clean.

Attachments

• IMG_8857.jpeg
    IMG_8857.jpeg
    32.5 KB · Views: 6
Anybody tested Tubb bore lube on a clean barrel? I ran 2 dry patches after it, and my fouler was right in the middle of all the others in a group. My first attempt with mono's from my 7 PRC was pretty promising at 100yds.
I attempted to start perfectly clean.
Are you talking about Tubb TBN bullet coating? Or does he make a bore lube?

Late to the party but I have a CA ELR in 300 Rum. If I would get ambitious and clean it real nice it'll take about 7 rounds to settle it back in. After figuring that out I now subscribe to the "clean when the gun tells you too" policy. Exceptions are if I'm not gonna use it for a long while it will get cleaned. Have a dasher with a Bartlein barrel that wasn't clean for over 300 hard rounds and still shot bugholes.

I'm getting carbon out now, to see how much copper lies beneath after about 50 shots.
Took basically an hour with boretech and nylon bristles to get it 99% done.
I didn't know what to expect with the new monos but I'm pleased, started clean with WB bore lube and dried it out if you missed it earlier.
It's verified with a Teslong.