Scope recommendations for Prairie Dogs

CarrollB

Within the next couple of days I will be receiving a Savage Axis bolt action in .223. It comes with a 3-9 Weaver scope but I'd like some better optics. I will be shooting 55 grain handloads and wonder what power scope I should be looking at. I will probably limit my shots to <350 yards. Never shot these critters before but planning a 3-day trip to SD in spring/summer of 2024. Any recommendations on an outfitter would also be appreciated.

4.5-14x or 4-16X will do a good job for you. I have several more powerful scopes but I seldom turn them up past 14x.
Get good glass! Spending many hours looking through a lens is hard on the eye, the better glass is easier on your eyeball. I don't like thick cross hairs for small targets. A bullet drop type reticle is nice for long shots.

Since your critters are small — and your range is 350y (max.) — you probably want something with 20x or more magnification on the top end?

It would help us to know what price range you were thinking of — there is too much to choose from between $100 to $4000..... 😆

To make my scope searches easier, I assembled Scope Specs Tables for different magnification ranges.

Below I'll attach the Specs Table for 6-24x (incl. 5-20x, 5-30x, 4-24x, and a bit more).
There are about 100 scopes with all their specs side by side for comparison, incl.:

▪ Price
▪ Warranty type
▪ Reticle (general)
▪ Weight, length
▪ Max. elevation adjustment
Separated by FFP and SFP

➧ Note that I limited myself to scopes with exposed turrets, 10y min. parallax, and hold-off reticles (no BDC or simple crosshairs).

Happy scope shopping! 😊

Matthias

❌ Attachment:
Scope Specs Table
6-24x | 5-30x | 5-20x | 4-24x

Attachments

• -SCOPE Specs Table. For 6-24x (5-25x) or 5-30x or 4-20x.pdf
    356.9 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
I use any rifle I have since I view it as practical practice. However for rifles that basically only get used for PDs I have gone with a few of the arken elp line. I want ffp and mil so it's an easy way to get there.

Since your critters are small — and your range is 350y (max.) — you probably want something with 20x or more magnification on the top end?

It would help us to know what price range you were thinking of — there is too much to choose from between $100 to $4000..... 😆

To make my scope searches easier, I assembled Scope Specs Tables for different magnification ranges.

Below I'll attach the Specs Table for 6-24x (incl. 5-20x, 5-30x, 4-24x, and a bit more).
There are about 100 scopes with all their specs side by side for comparison, incl.:

▪ Price
▪ Warranty type
▪ Reticle (general)
▪ Weight, length
▪ Max. elevation adjustment
▪ Separated by FFP and SFP

➧ Note that I limited myself to scopes with exposed turrets and 10y min. parallax.

Happy scope shopping! 😊

Matthias

❌ Attachment:
Scope Specs Table
6-24x | 5-30x | 5-20x | 4-24x
Thanks JungleShooter. Your table is awesome

.223 is pretty flat at 350 still but you may want to stretch that range eventually. I'd recommend a 5-30 FFP optic if the weight and size aren't an issue for your rig.

A good clear scope in the 20 power range should serve you well without excess weight. Make sure you have a sunshade. Sunburned retena is very painful.

That being said, I hunted in South Dakota several years with a 4X fixed power Leupold on a 14" handgun to 350 yards and beyond without any problems. I could shoot as tight a group with it as with my rifle at 100 yards.

I am real olde & I like enough magnification to see bullet holes in paper at 200 yards when sighting in for rodent shoots - 18X max- 24X max, variable, with sunshade. Good glass helps to see brown rodents against brown dirt way off.

Last edited:
I shot a LOT on 24x-28x. Wind blows mirage away up to a certain point. I would aim for a head or shoulder, watch the impact, adjust the turrent, fire for effect. Then wipe them all out in that area.
The rodents are disease spreading, crop destroying, hazard producing, nasty life style, high fecundity creatures. Imagine a world with millions of rodents encroaching on human habitat, like having hordes of them invading parks, school grounds, play grounds, and places having innocent vulnerable young humans susceptible to a variety of diseases like plague, hantavirus, leptospirosis, lymphocytic choriomeningitis (LCMV), Tularemia and Salmonella. The rodent invasion would happen with no controls & protection from well intending humans that think the rodents are cute.

See an AR clean out 6-8 off one mound, thinking of getting a .223 Wylde, 24 inch upper for my AR.

Recent Posts