Zeroing in my 7mm Rem???

What is your logic....what is your proof on the "best bang for your buck" statement? What is the criterion.

Or...is it simply your personal preference.....which is fine. lightbulb

Just sayin..

Tod

My logic revolves around ease of use for myself. With my current hunting setup, a 200 yard zero puts me at 1.5" High at 100 yards, and 2.7 " low at 250. Where I hunt, sightlines can range from 25 yards to a Mile in a short walk, and every step you take you could have a trophy blacktail jump in front of you. I like knowing I don't have to think if a quick opportunity presents itself. I don't actively go searching for 1000 yard shots, but I like to practice and be capable of taking such a shot if the terrain or situation presents itself. Also, shooting PRS with the same rifle that I hunt with makes a lot of sense, and everyone I know shoots with a 200 yard zero. I guess you're right, that it comes down to personal preference, but if you're an average guy that has a public range to shoot on, and they have target points at 100 and 200 yards, your options are pretty limited on where you zero.

My logic revolves around ease of use for myself. With my current hunting setup, a 200 yard zero puts me at 1.5" High at 100 yards, and 2.7 " low at 250. Where I hunt, sightlines can range from 25 yards to a Mile in a short walk, and every step you take you could have a trophy blacktail jump in front of you. I like knowing I don't have to think if a quick opportunity presents itself. I don't actively go searching for 1000 yard shots, but I like to practice and be capable of taking such a shot if the terrain or situation presents itself. Also, shooting PRS with the same rifle that I hunt with makes a lot of sense, and everyone I know shoots with a 200 yard zero. I guess you're right, that it comes down to personal preference, but if you're an average guy that has a public range to shoot on, and they have target points at 100 and 200 yards, your options are pretty limited on where you zero.

Perfect...and makes sense. My thought is the same as yours.....but with a 300 yard zero, any deer that pops up at anything from 1 yard to 350 yards, I don't have to think....just point and shoot. Anything further out than that is simply (?) dial and shoot. And, on my guns with the zero stop feature, I set the zero stop at the 150 - 200 yard zero (which would be 1-2 moa below "ZERO") for those instances where I have to thread the needle at shorter distances. Just a quick turn to the stop...you don't even have to look, and poof...dead deer.

As far as using your comp gun to hunt with...makes sense. I also use my comp guns, but I don't leave the zero at 1000 yards. :D Also, if you have special reticals like you mentioned, then you are 100% correct...you do not have an option....you must zero where they say....unless they build it you your specs.

Everybody has their own, BEST system.....and nobody is wrong.

Perfect...and makes sense. My thought is the same as yours.....but with a 300 yard zero, any deer that pops up at anything from 1 yard to 350 yards, I don't have to think....just point and shoot. Anything further out than that is simply (?) dial and shoot. And, on my guns with the zero stop feature, I set the zero stop at the 150 - 200 yard zero (which would be 1-2 moa below "ZERO") for those instances where I have to thread the needle at shorter distances. Just a quick turn to the stop...you don't even have to look, and poof...dead deer.

As far as using your comp gun to hunt with...makes sense. I also use my comp guns, but I don't leave the zero at 1000 yards. :D Also, if you have special reticals like you mentioned, then you are 100% correct...you do not have an option....you must zero where they say....unless they build it you your specs.

Everybody has their own, BEST system.....and nobody is wrong.

Don't mind me asking what load/bullet are you using ?

I don't shoot over 400yds at unwounded game, but I have tried 300yd zeros and +3@100yds before. I have shot over far more game than under, ha. I find that I have a tendency to "hold up" on game that looks like its 300yds or so ( I'm a point and shoot guy, not a dial guy anyhow) If I'm in timber, but have big openings/canyons mixed in, heck, I'll even zero +1"@100. this is with a flat shooter, of course. All the rest get +2"@100 and I check my drop out to 500yds. I did set up a 300 RUM with a Leupold 4.5x14 CDC (sp?) custom elevation dial, even tested it out to 900yds. It worked swell, but I just don't shoot that far, so sold it. My last "really" LR rig, ha. Before that I used a 7mm RUM with Ballistic Plex scope, tested out to 700yds for drop with a 200yd zero. All my other 300 mags, 338/340 mags either 1 or 2" @100. And have taken game out to 375 or so with all of them. That sure was a long way for me, I have a severe dread of wounding. I love to read after all you LR shooters though as I learn much about a lot of things. :)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.