Zeroing in my 7mm Rem???

Clarkdk7300

Question guys I tried searching this however no matter how many times I reworded it I did not find an answer.
Long range hunting rifle 24" barrel , 7mm REM , 160 grain Nosler accubond.
My scope has a Zero stop so I'm trying to figure out what most of you recommend zeroing a 7mm in at for elk hunting? Using the Zero stop will make returning to my Zero nice!!!!

In the past my whitetail hunting rifle is/was a 25-06! Flat shooting round so I knew what to Zero it at however I'm new to the 7mm and Nosler bullet! Figured I would pick your brain.

Thanks

Question guys I tried searching this however no matter how many times I reworded it I did not find an answer.
Long range hunting rifle 24" barrel , 7mm REM , 160 grain Nosler accubond.
My scope has a Zero stop so I'm trying to figure out what most of you recommend zeroing a 7mm in at for elk hunting? Using the Zero stop will make returning to my Zero nice!!!!

In the past my whitetail hunting rifle is/was a 25-06! Flat shooting round so I knew what to Zero it at however I'm new to the 7mm and Nosler bullet! Figured I would pick your brain.

Thanks

All my LR rifles are zeroed at 200 yards and build my dope charts from there.

Another vote for 200. Seems to be the best bang for your buck if you plan on using your D.O.P.E. cards and dialing a turret.

Tell you what, if you can get me your muzzle velocity and your scope centerline height above bore centerline and the part number from your ammo I'll figure out your optimal point blank range for elk sized game for you. It's a little screwing around with my ballistics spreadsheet. If you tell me what scope you have and what reticle I might be able to do something much neater.

shoot me a pm if you'd like to pursue that.

EDIT: The elevation range of your planned hunting area will be helpful too.

Thank you everyone for your response your information will come across very helpful!!!!! 200/300 makes sense with animals you will be reaching out to anyways.

Ballistics guy I'm out of town currently on work when I return home I will get you that information.

I like 100 zero's on all my rifles and dial up from there. Its all personal preference. My brain computes MOA much better from 100 zero's.

I don't like max line of sight zero's since it can put you up close 4" high at around 200, and a little angle in a quick shot situation and you can have an easy miss at 200ish yards. I lived it when I use to zero that way. Its hard to remember to hold a little low when its a quick shot situation.

I use 200. I have an MOA reticle and use it for holdover for anything past 200 to about 400 or so and dial for anything past that.

Ditto!

Attachments

• Ballistic E1 FFP, 4-20x, Burris.png
    Ballistic E1 FFP, 4-20x, Burris.png
    19.5 KB · Views: 198
I don't hunt anymore but I do long range match shoots with the closest targets being 200yrds. I zero at 200m (~219yrds) for all of my rifles anyway because at the range I like to use, 200m is the closest steel target. When I hunted it was mostly deer in California coastal mountains so I zero'd at 100yrds since even when going out intending to cross canyon hunt the darned critters always pop out at 30-60yrds.

In my small 7mag I'm running 162 ELD-M's at well over 3k fps pushed by US869 from a 24" pipe. In my big one I'm running 180gn Berger Hybrids at 3050 from a 28" tube with an off book load of US869.

Another vote for 200. Seems to be the best bang for your buck if you plan on using your D.O.P.E. cards and dialing a turret.

What is your logic....what is your proof on the "best bang for your buck" statement? What is the criterion.

Or...is it simply your personal preference.....which is fine. lightbulb

Just sayin..

Tod

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.