Youth - 260 Rem or 25.06??

I started my boys with a 260 when they where 6, they had 22's and wanted to shoot long range with me. Originally I was thinking a 243 for them but ended up just loading some lighter loads with 100 grain eldm's for the 260. He's now shooting 143 eldx full loads and shoots it awesome, he is 9 and this fall will be 10 and his first year hunting. I did buy him a suppressor though that we got in August, that tamed the recoil to nothing and took a lot of worry from damaging his ears. He has a 22-250 too but prefers taking this coyote hunting. My other boy is 7 looking at getting him his own 260 but everything is so hard to find right now.

Not to turn it into a big debate but not really a fan of him using it for elk either, setting up a 300wsm identical to his 260 incase he can manage a elk tag and was going to play with a brake and suppressor to see what tames the recoil the best

Last edited:
I would suggest the 25-06 is a long action and you said both were Savage rifles. The long action allows a larger selection of cartridges compared to the short action. Change the barrel and go with the .243, .260, etc. Savage barrel swap would be the way to go.

As the title suggests, which would you choose for a youth cartridge? I've found a savage in either option.

He's almost 9 and can technically hunt big game in two years when he's 10. He's made a very mature decision in asking for his first "big game" rifle for his birthday this year, in lieu of toys (I want to reward that). He wants time to practice.

My long term plan is for this to be converted into something with more oomph as he grows. I like the modularity of Savage. Big plans for an upgraded CF stock, premium barrel and quality scope.

With these two choices, assuming he will primarily be hunting mulies... what is your pick?originally I was going to get him a .243 but can't seem to find one.

Eventually he will get to hunt elk with me but I'm hesitant to say that I'd let him use either of these on an elk (but possibly under ideal circumstances).
What is the ammo availability for either cartridge. Unless your son plans on reloading, I wouldn't get either.... both are cartridges that are fading in popularity, and as they do, so will factory offerings. I'd definitely recommend something in Short-Action, either 7mm08, or the 6.5 CM. I've used both for my 4 kids, and it's treated us well. Plenty of companies load for them, and the 6.5 bandwagon is growing.

The difference between 260 and 25-06 is a significant jump from 40ish grains of powder to 50+ grains. Your kids will definitely feel the difference, and may develop bad habits from a long-action depending on the weight of the rifle.

Both are great options for starting out. Recoil is not going to be a factor with either. I personally would do the 260 because bullet selection. You can even use 120 class solids like hammers or barnes to reduce the recoil even more. Later if you want more range and power just change out the bolt head and punch your existing barrel out to a 6.5prc or 6.5saum. If you do the 25-06 you can punch it out to 257wbymag by changing the bolt head and a quick ream job on same barrel. 257wby is my all time favorite deer killing cartridge. But I'm liking the bullet selection of the 6.5s. So now I use a 6.5x257wby and a 6.5saum and a 6.5 creed. For deer to 500 yards you will never need more than a 260 or 2506 but if elk are in your future the heavier high sectional density 6.5 bullets will be better than any 25. Even though I've read that Roy's favorite elk gun was a 257wby. I would tell your boy to pick one. Let him research and make up his own mind which one he wants. He will like it more and learn some valuable info along the way.
By the way my boy started with a 308 and even though I'm a professional gunsmith he won't let me build him anything else.
So he may use whatever you start him on forever and not want or need more later.
Shep

If you handload either will be fine as you can work up some reduced H4895 loads for minimal recoil as Jbries mentioned.

Also as follow up to Sierracharlie mentioning a future step up in your rifle from 260 to 7-08 for larger game... I would suggest you give the 7-08 serious consideration now. My 10 year old daughters first rifle was a 7-08 and we down loaded it with H4895 and ultimately full power 120 gr bullet loads. She handled it well and shot her first 3 deer that way. Now she shoots full power 140 and 162 gr loads. One rifle and she's set !! BTW with scope it weighs 6.75 lbs and the recoil never bothered her!

Another vote for .260. My son shot an exotic ram with my .260 at age 8 or 9. It's a short action so that also means a lighter shorter easier to handle and cycle rifle vs the .25-06.

Then instead of replacing/changing it to something else, you might consider adding something like a .300WSM or .300 Win Mag when he gets older.

That way he'll end up with two solid options in the future depending on what the game requires.
My boys shoot .22lr and .17hmr to practice and develop good trigger discipline. Eventually they shot .223. Then 6.5 Grendel out of a gas gun. Then .260 and 6.5 Creedmoor out of a bolt gun. I like the idea of building up progressive recoil so they don't have to learn to shoot a rifle with a moderate recoiling centerfire rifle. But I'm sure you are doing the same with your son.

As the title suggests, which would you choose for a youth cartridge? I've found a savage in either option.

He's almost 9 and can technically hunt big game in two years when he's 10. He's made a very mature decision in asking for his first "big game" rifle for his birthday this year, in lieu of toys (I want to reward that). He wants time to practice.

My long term plan is for this to be converted into something with more oomph as he grows. I like the modularity of Savage. Big plans for an upgraded CF stock, premium barrel and quality scope.

With these two choices, assuming he will primarily be hunting mulies... what is your pick?originally I was going to get him a .243 but can't seem to find one.

Eventually he will get to hunt elk with me but I'm hesitant to say that I'd let him use either of these on an elk (but possibly under ideal circumstances).
260 Rem. I've shot prairie dogs up Moose with my 260 Rem.

If you handload either will be fine as you can work up some reduced H4895 loads for minimal recoil as Jbries mentioned.

Also as follow up to Sierracharlie mentioning a future step up in your rifle from 260 to 7-08 for larger game... I would suggest you give the 7-08 serious consideration now. My 10 year old daughters first rifle was a 7-08 and we down loaded it with H4895 and ultimately full power 120 gr bullet loads. She handled it well and shot her first 3 deer that way. Now she shoots full power 140 and 162 gr loads. One rifle and she's set !! BTW with scope it weighs 6.75 lbs and the recoil never bothered her!
I have to agree, my 12 year old son shoots a 7-08 and loves it. He is a little on the small side, more like a 9 year old. There are tons of rifles and factory loads available as well and its an all NA game cartridge (excluding grizzlies) out to 300-350yds. My wife shoots one also.

That being said I also own a 25-06 and love it. My son shoots it with little issue. If you got a 25-06 and wanted to rebarrel in the future as mentioned many times there is a very long list of effective cartridges available in a long action without having to even change the bolt face, like 280AI.

Last edited:
Of your two listed id go 260. Id definitely go 260 over 243. If your already set up to load for 260 great. If not id go 6.5 creedmoore. Everybody loves to hate on thr creedmoore but they hate the marketing and fan boys not the case itself. More loaded ammo and brass options abailable for the creedmoore than 260 or 7mm-08 and the case design makes a little more sense in most applications.

I've had a Ruger M77 in 25-06 for about 40 years and love it to death, it is super accurate. I use Nosler 120 gr partitions for big game. However, I would give a youth a 243, which I just did for my grandson this past Christmas.

I have both in my safe. Both kill deer. The .260 Rem cartridges are very limited so it has become for the most part a 'reloaders' only" cartridge. If light-loads were available for the .260 I think it would be he better choice for a 9-year-old, but as they aren't available to non-reloaders, that advantage is gone. Long-term the 6.5 CM has almost totally replaced the .260 Rem in both gun and ammunition sales. I expect that trend to continue. That is one reason to shy away from a .260 Rem.

The .25-06 is a true 1/4 bore magnum without the name. It is a cartridge that will not be outgrown for deer sized game. Although never one of the most popular cartridges, I do not see it disappearing any time soon. Out to 500 yards I would argue it's among the best deer cartridges ever.

So, among the 2 choices presented, I would opt for the .25-06. Opening up the choices I would definitely opt for a .243 unless he is a very big & strong child.

Recent Posts