Your Opinions and Reviews of Savage Rifles?

When I found out how well it shot, I decided to make it into one of my showpieces.
site1.JPG

This rifle will shoot, anytime, anywhere....quietly
I have the savage 110 with the this stock. Weighs about 13lbs. Bought it to rebuild as the original 7mm or .300wm. Unfortunately the scope is worthless and mounts are garbage. Thinking about selling whole thing and buying something already set up. Nice rifle

Unfortunately I can offer no pictures to back up my claims. I own three savage rifles and did load development for a forth for a friend.
One is a 10ML-II smokeless muzzleloader in stainless laminate stock. Considering it shoot only saboted projectiles, it is absolutely phinominally accurate. I have only punched paper to 300 yards but it has been consistently MOA or better at all ranges between 100-300 yards.
Second is a 116 weather warrior in 7mm stw that has shot bullets from 139-160 grains again MOA or better groups.
Third is also a 116/WW in 338wm my friend owns and the very first load of RL-19 and 225 grain Interlocks, NPT or Sierra GK all shot great groups.
My last Savage is a discontinued 10 FCP in 308. My first trip to the range I forgot ALL of my reloads at home so I drove to a near by gun store and bought one box of Federal Gold medal Match ammo and it shot great groups as well. Will be very interested in seeing how this rifle shoots with reloads.

Now I will be the first to concede Savage rifles aren't the prettiest of rifles but they in my 1st hand experience shoot very well indeed I am some what disappointed they are no longer the bargain they once were as I paid only $400 for my 116, about $450 for my 10ML-11 and under $500 for my 10 FCP, but as rifles go they still IMHO rate a best buy. In my opinion before they went up in price they were without doubt the best budget rifle you could buy, I don't know if that's true any more or not.

I have shot 1500-1700 shots out of my 10ML-II about 350-400 out of my 116/WW and have not encountered a single issue with either. I would not hesitate to recommend a savage to anyone looking for a great rifle on a budget.

While I have a fair amount of experience with Remington tactical rifles, I am seriously considering buying a Savage for long range hunting. I was wondering if you could please give me your opinions of these rifles as a long range shooting foundation. If I did go with a Savage, I would probably alter or replace the factory stock. All advice and opinions are appreciated.

-Model 116FSS (Stainless, internal box magazine)

-Model 116FHSS(Stainless, hinged floorplate)

-Model 116FHSAK (Hinged floorplate, stainless barreled action, Adjustable Muzzle Brake)

Thank you all.

DougD
While I have a fair amount of experience with Remington tactical rifles, I am seriously considering buying a Savage for long range hunting. I was wondering if you could please give me your opinions of these rifles as a long range shooting foundation. If I did go with a Savage, I would probably alter or replace the factory stock. All advice and opinions are appreciated.

-Model 116FHSAK (Hinged floorplate, stainless barreled action, Adjustable Muzzle Brake)

Thank you all.

DougD

Thank you all.

DougD

I bought a savage 22-250 a few years ago now. The reputation for accuracy is what drew me to it. However, i never heard about how unreliable they were. It wouldn't eject shells. I took it to the dealer a guy from Nioa was there I showed him the problem. It was sent to the gunsmith three times and
By the third time the bolt was so tight after pulling the trigger it was hard to cycle rounds. And it still didn't eject all shells! I was told the rate it successfully ejected shells was acceptable. I've sold it for next to nothing.

Thank you all.

DougD

Reliability and warranty issues are a big problem with Savage. I would stick to Remington. You get value for money.

H

Thank you all.

DougD

So be warned Savage aren't a quality brand.

Would be interested to hear other people's experinces with Savage firearms regarding reliability and how warranty issues are dealt with.

My 22-250 does have slight feed issue if go to slow shell pops out to soon and hangs up but in think it's just matter of tightening lips on magazine. Other then that works just fine.

My 22-250 does have slight feed issue if go to slow shell pops out to soon and hangs up but in think it's just matter of tightening lips on magazine. Other then that works just fine.

Yeah but the problem was after I fired it. The round was fed and it just wouldn't pull out. The gunsmith never said anything about a magazine problem.

Would be interested to hear other people's experinces with Savage firearms regarding reliability and how warranty issues are dealt with.
I originally posted about my Savage rifles on this old thread about eight years ago. Those rifles mentioned, after all this time, as well as several other Savages acquired since have all proven to be exceptionally accurate, and totally reliable. Thousands of rounds fired without requiring the use of the warranty, or service department. Wish I could say the same for all the other brands of factory rifles I have owned, but I'm sure a lemon can pop up from time to time either ANY brand.

Last edited:
A good friend (Greyfox knows him) just took an Elk in NM at 702y w/ a 22* decline. 1 shot off a tripod, sitting. Rifle was a Savage in 280AI. He shoots Savage rifles in PRS comps as well. Personally I don't care for their actions and triggers, that said they are very effective and reliable rifles. His was not stock. He changed the barrel to a x-caliber and the stock to a Hogue full bed. Leupold M5 5-25x. I shot the rifle prior to him leaving for the hunt. It was a laser. Indian, not the arrow.

Savage not a quality brand, well, each to their own. I own a 35 year old Savage 110 SA in 22-250. Has probably 3,000 rounds down the tube, both factory and handloads, taken more white tail deer, turkeys, and prairie dogs than I can count. Not one single issue, failure or inability to keep accuracy. Can still cover 10 shots with a dime at 100 yards with factory ammo.

Second is a model 12 BVSS in 300wsm with at least 1500 rounds downrange by me alone at or above max. .45 MOA at 545 yards using Berger 215 & H4831SC. I bought the rifle used and had no idea about the care of the rifle nor the round count. I examined the extractor a few years back and noticed worn areas. Replaced the extractor and it has worked great with one exception. Crappy brass from Winchester extracts poorly because Winchester's QC is apparently non existent in the last two bags I bought. The rounds of brass made by Nosler extract every time flawlessly. I also had issues with the Winchester brass failing to go into an RCBS and a Redding shell holder. Additionally I had to throw out 4 rounds out of the 100 because of neck splits from the factory and I've had to uniform more primer pockets in the 100 rounds than in my entire 40 years of reloading. I also notice that when I try to baby the operation of the bolt, the extract issues with the Winchester brass gets even worse. I try to make sure and be aggressive with working the bolt. That's my issue not the Savage.

I have a buddy that has a Savage 110 BA Stealth in 6.5 Creedmoor. Accurate and reliable would be weak adjectives. Another buddy just bought a used 110 FCP LE left hand in .308. His is also extremely reliable, 250 plus rounds with NO issues and .75 MOA or lower accurate when he does his part, all factory ammo.

So there is my experience with Savage. I've had more problems and poorer accuracy with Wins and Rems than all of my or my buddies Savages put together. I will buy another Savage when the time comes. I am not someone who gingerly handles his rifles. I am an admitted Bull in the China Closet, the gorilla that handles luggage and not afraid to go tumbling down an incline with my Savage. Nearing my mid 60's I might ease up. On second thought, nope, I might break something then. Guess I'm drinking lemonade and not eating lemons.

So there is my experience with Savage. I've had more problems and poorer accuracy with Wins and Rems than all of my or my buddies Savages put together

My experience with Savage also.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.