Your opinion of the .243AI

Ok. I have not owned a 25-06 AI. So we have 243 ai shooting 115s at 3100 fps = 800 lbs at 900 yards . Then 25-06 ai at 3400 fps with a 115 and a 466 bc. is 803 ft lbs at 900 yards. The high bc of the 243 caliber is .550 at 3100. The 25 cailber bullet can only get to 466 bc and at 3400 fps has almost the same 800 ft lbs of as knock down at 900 yards. At long range BC often makes a huge difference! The 25 caliber gives away almost .100 bc to its slimmer 243 caliber rival. :D

Yep, which is exactly why I've been begging Berger to make a 130-135gr ELR Hybrid for us .25 caliber shooters. I'll sacrfice some speed for some heavier hitting, and better LR wind deflection. :D

I fully agree! 25 caliber and 277 caliber could both use some higher BC bullets! I have a standard 25-06 and a 257 roberts. I dont use either for long range, but both shoot 115 bergers under 1/2 moa.

The 8mm market could definitely use a boost too, when it comes to high BC LR bullets. They seem to be lacking worse than the .257 calibers.

yep!!! that is why I went to the 6.5mm. lots of good bullets to chose from. I love the .25-06 because it seems its a little sweet spot for white tails, but just like Mud said, when you can only get 120ish grains of bullet (unless you spend $$$$) you cant make the round perform like it could.

Having said that, I think I would go for the .25-06AI before the .243AI if I were deer hunting. just $0.02 more. I'm up to a 4 cent contribution at this point!!

I went with the .243 because I spend 85% of my time shooting Marmonts and JackRabbits........................two long of a time between Deer tags. However now my new Father in law lives in Northern Idaho and wants me to come up every year for Deer Season...........................

now Im need to consider a new 7mm

Maybe a new Cooper .280AI or if I save a bit longer a 7mmWSM

I wouldn't rule out using the .243 for your deer hunts. there are plenty of guys who use the .243 in my area here in Kansas to hunt whitetails. its a good round if you can hit um where it counts.

I wouldn't rule out using the .243 for your deer hunts. there are plenty of guys who use the .243 in my area here in Kansas to hunt whitetails. its a good round if you can hit um where it counts.

I'd have to agree, I've probably harvested more deer with a .243 than all my other rifles combined. It works just fine :cool:

t

I'd have to agree, I've probably harvested more deer with a .243 than all my other rifles combined. It works just fine :cool:

t
That's how I am about my 7mm RemMags....For me and whitetails, it just works. It's the one caliber I've harvested the most deer with over the years.

I have shot LOTS of whitetails with Deprovation Permits with 243 and 105 and 115 bergers at yardages out to 600 yards or so. They do the job if hit correctly.

I will get a lot of grief but why a .243 AI ? I have a 6mm Rem which is between a .243 Win & the .243 AI and you won't have to waste bullets fireforming cases. I really think if you think it's to far with 6mm Rem you would not take the shot with a .243 AI just saying. I am like most here, I'm fine with my 6mm Rem to a little over 500 yds but when I think a shot will beyond 500 yds, I pull a different rifle out of the safe.

I will get a lot of grief but why a .243 AI ? I have a 6mm Rem which is between a .243 Win & the .243 AI and you won't have to waste bullets fireforming cases. I really think if you think it's to far with 6mm Rem you would not take the shot with a .243 AI just saying. I am like most here, I'm fine with my 6mm Rem to a little over 500 yds but when I think a shot will beyond 500 yds, I pull a different rifle out of the safe.

The COW method works wonders & doesn't require bullets to fire form. I do understand your thinking though. I went in a different route yet & went from the 243AI to the 6mmAI :D.

t

Yep

I had a old Remington 700 Short action. My first choice was the 6mm but was told that inorder to seat the 105 berger out far enough It would be better if I had a standard action. Was recommended the .243 AI Yes, Fire Forming can be a drag unless your shooting at Jack Rabbits or Marmonts . The Smith that built my rifle did the load work up and Im getting .5 groups FForming. My hunting load is 49.0gr of Reloader 22 with the 105 right at 3300fps...................Tell me if your getting that out of your 6mm? This rifle is shooting .348 off of a bipod @100
I have not used it Deer Hunting yet................and I have never ever shot anything over 250yds.................................I will be doing a lot of shooting and maybe someday I just might kill a deer over 250
My last .243AI I never ever had to trim my cases and I ran them full throttle.

I hate trimming cases

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.