Wyoming unit 63-1 Elk draw success

Jeffpg

Well, I finally got my Wyoming elk tag so now it's time to plan my hunt. I want to go unguided, but I have much to learn about the area, as I know very little about it.

I'm 55 years old and in pretty good shape and I have plenty of gear, but I don't have a big tent.

If you have info to share on the unit I'm all ears and open to any and all suggestions. If you also have the tag and wish to team up I'll certainly consider that as well. I will likely have plenty of free time to devote to the hunt.

thanks!
Jeff

Congrats on a great tag! If out of state, you probably waited 8 - 10 years to draw that tag, so why not hire a guide to go after one of those monster bull's that is living in that unit. That is tough to do without knowing the country. Also, if not a resident, I don't think you can access the wilderness areas unless you either hire a guide or hunt with a resident.

General info:

2015 Success Rate: 61%
Bull/Cow Ratio: 15/100

This is a good hunt for a chance at mature 320-340" class bull with a possibility at seeing a 350" plus bull. Hunting pressure on this unit can be higher in USFS sections of the unit. Horseback spike camp or backpack style hunting is recommended and can increasing chances of being successful. This is a highly sought after tag. Weather is likely to increase opportunity at seeing more elk and improve the chances for a larger bull. The rut will be slowing down during this season. Tags drawn in this season are also valid in units: 64

Primary access into the USFS and wilderness section of the unit is through the Grass Creek Road which can be accessed off of State Route 120. Another option is to take the Pitchfork Road out of Meeteetse then turning onto the Wood River Road. Once onto National Forest land, Area 63 can then be accessed by hiking or taking horses into the unit to the south. The area has one Hunter Management Area, the Absorka Front. Fish and game regulations should be reviewed for details on hunting that area.

• No motorized access within the wilderness area
  • Some main road access outside of wilderness area
  • Horses recommended to access remote southwest section of the units
  • Backpack hunting can be successful, but horses are likely to be needed to pack meat out

Thanks lilharcher, that's good information.

I am not totally opposed to a outfitter, but I like to devote more time to a hunt than a outfitter normally offers.

I may consider booking with a outfitter during the archery season, with the idea of going back with rented horses during the rifle season if necessary.

Just in case you didn't already know, If your not hunting with a Outfitter or guide or someone with a guide license you can't hunt in the wilderness areas as a non-resident.

This is my area. You can actually hunt 63 and 64. I have the bull tag for 64 that opens November 1. 63 is on fire right now but I'm hoping it is put out quickly. I'll be up there next week a couple of times on a job so I'll be doing a little scouting.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.