Would like to give a couple guys in our industry a plug...

Fiftydriver

Official LRH Sponsor
To all,

I have been in "heated" contact with a couple of guys lately that own companies that are directly involved in what we love to do. These two men are Barney Lawton of Lawton Machining and Tom Manners of Manners rifle stocks.

Both of these men have went WAY over what I would call excellent service in the last couple weeks.

I will admit I have yet to get their actual products in my hands to inspect but I believe the quality of a persons products will be a direct reflection of the type of person they are to work with.

In both cases I have been extremely impressed and would urge you to contact these two men if you need any barrels or receivers from Barney or stocks from Tom.

I will be offering a complete report on all three here very soon. As many of you well know I will be heading slightly south to spend a week with Shawn Carlock this November trying to put a big whitetail on the ground at long range. Originally I was going to use a sub 16 lb 338 Allen Magnum for the hunt.

Because of delays with getting some of the componants here I built a back up rifle in the form of my lightweight 7mm AM. I have been testing this rifle alot and have been very impressed with it out to the 1/2 mile range but I just do not feel comfortable taking a shot at a big game animal out to 1000 yards or beyond with this 9.5 lb rifle. 800 yards, you bet!!

As such, with the 338 AM not looking like it will happen in time, or the possibility that it will happen in time, I set out to build another rifle in the semi heavy weight range to offer me legit 1000 yard or slightly more reach.

I ordered a Lawton M7500 dual port Single shot BR receiver and a 30" Lawton 1-9 6 groove barrel fluted with 8 heavy flutes. Muzzle diameter will be 0.875"

I will chamber the rifle in my 277 Allen Mag and shoot the new 195 gr ULD RBBT Wildcat Bullets which it should be capable of launching out at a comfortable 3200 fps without much fuss.

The stock will be one of Tom Manners thumbhole tacticals which is very similiar to an A-5 design but with a thumbhole grip.

Again, both men have gone way over the limit of what I expected them to do at this short notice. I have yet to commit on the stock finish yet but hope to do that next week and get that heading my way.

Anyway, just wanted to let all you know that these two guys and their companies are truely top notch!! IF you need any barrels, receivers or stocks, get ahold of them!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Hey Kirby , does Manners have a web site?

And on those Lawton actions what all is involved if fitting a stoc for one , are they basicaly like a Rem 700 and those stocks can be modified?

I am glad to hear this, it sounds like I made a good choice when picking a Lawton Action and Barrel for my 338 Allen mag. Good customer service will always keep em coming back.

Wildcat

Will be one good looking rig, really like the looks of that stock. Kirby go with the carbon fiber look. That with a fluted barrel either coated or left stainless would be a real eye popping rig. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Fifty I been doing alot of serious thinking about a lawton actions. What I've learned in the last few years of precision hunting and target shooting out to a 1000 yards that their is more than one way to kill a deer at 1000 yards or shoot a 4 inch group. I've always shot a poor mans savage just to be different. I have been competive with it, and the guys who win shoots, shoot at least once a day and are machines. I have all the recpect for them. What im trying to say is that you can shoot a group at a 1000 yards , 5 inches and under many ways. With a remington,savage, winchester, bat,panda ect. I think that most of the custom actions are very nice, but 1000 to 1100 and a 6 month to a year wait, why? Lawtons seem to be the best for the money. Not much more than a trued up remington, or even a tricked out savage. There are many good actions stocks and barrels out there that can do what you want. But the bottom line is quality,customer service, and price. I've been buying Benchmark barrels out of Washington for the reason when I call to order a barrel I talk to the owner, if there would be a problem it would be taken care of without a attiude. Its all about getting a good product for a good price from good people. When you have those indegrents it always works. Im with you I think some smaller companies deserve credit where needed. Good luck on your hunt. Hopefully I 'll have my 22-243 ackley 6.5 twist chambered up and will let you know how 100 RBBT fly and hopefully some 110's if richard can make them. Take care

Went to the site to look at the hunting stocks--"under construction"! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

I have the lawton 7500 RB DP and like it especially for the money. $695. I went with this one in Single shot as it is slightly longer in the tenon for better barrel mating and it is slightly larger 1.450 vs the standard 1.350 his smaller action which is a Rem size.

BH

I have been in touch with Tom Manners via mail and on the phone,he´s been very helpful. I am having a rifle built now by Pete Lincoln based on his thumbhole tactical stock... I do not have it yet but I am already thinking that maybe I should´ve gone the same way with other rifles.

Apart from that, he can offer great finishes either by himself or through Larson Tactical.

Thumbs up for Manners and his products.

+1 for Manner's. Dealt with him on a front rest. He went above and beyond at every phase. I highly recommend his fifty style front rest. I would encourage folks to deal with Manner's.
Semper Fi

Kirby,
Barney cut a 270 barrel for you last night, and it's a bute. We will conture and lap it Monday.
I have a 7000L R Mag sitting here to ship, and another started in the box. The 7500 is in the works also.
Thanks for the support and good shooting.
Scott

Themachinest,

Ya gotta get me those componants, I am about going crazy to test them out. If they perform as I fully expect they will, I will be able to add another Montana Made componant to my rifles and honestly mean it when I say I will use them exclusively unless a customer demands another brand.

How do the 8 flutes look on that 270 barrel????

Now you really got me excited, Better go spend the weekend in the shop so I can get a day or two next weekend to put a 277 Allen Mag together!!! Maybe???? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.