Worth reloading for gas guns?

In current market conditions, I would only load for "specialized" gas guns. Meaning, for purpose other than just fun, such as hunting or competing. For just fun, for me, fun with kids and family, I'll just use surplus ammo when ever I find it for the various gas guns.

For run-n-gun range time factory ammo is fine, but wanting more precision I'll reload! I only have 8 bolt guns and 4 levers that don't come close to the amount of AR's I have (4x as many).

bolts in 264wm, 300wm & 338lm
levers in 44mag, 270win & 45-70
AR's in 5.56, 243win, 6.5gren, 6.5creed, 260rem, 6.5prc, 6.8spc, 7-08rem, 7saum, 300bo & 308win

More will be coming & some in other cartridges (300wsm, 270wsm or 6.8west & maybe 458wsm, 338wsm or 50wsm)

I load for hunting or accuracy. For just shooting/casual use I'm fine with factory ammo as long as it isn't too expensive.
This is where I'm leaning too right now. Cheap 7.62x51 seems to shoot well enough that I think it's diminishing returns to invest in high quality brass. At least right now, if I started getting more serious with my target practice maybe it would be a different story. Primer availability up here in AK is still very poor so there's that too

I reload for everything that I shoot besides rimfire and shotguns (would like to add a MEC at some point). Once I start doing more waterfowl hunting that might change. I don't see the sense in throwing brass away, I have lots of powders sitting on my shelf, so that just leaves buying bullets and primers. Small rifle primers are the only thing, seemingly, available so I don't mind losing them in some 223 rounds for the AR. I also load for my 6.5 Grendel, which is a gas gun, shortly after I acquired that rifle is when I bought my Dillon 550. It's a ton of fun to shoot and I couldn't imagine not loading my own for it. I shot a WPR match a couple of weeks ago and I had to buy factory ammo for the loaner rifle, that really hurt, and I hate buying factory stuff. For the amount that I spent I could've bought new brass, bullets, and dies and came out about the same.

Last edited:
SRP's are abundant and cheaper than LRP's (if you find any, especially magnums) and making cartridges that use SRP's can save big money (even for AR's). 308win range ammo is still pricey. Usually range ammo (like mil-surp) isn't precision ammo, but reloading using low dollar bullets and 5-7 cent primers can make it worth the time. Where I live I have to order primers cause there's no place to buy them. It is worth reloading for gas guns, but it's a choice like others.

For run-n-gun range time factory ammo is fine, but wanting more precision I'll reload! I only have 8 bolt guns and 4 levers that don't come close to the amount of AR's I have (4x as many).

bolts in 264wm, 300wm & 338lm
levers in 44mag, 270win & 45-70
AR's in 5.56, 243win, 6.5gren, 6.5creed, 260rem, 6.5prc, 6.8spc, 7-08rem, 7saum, 300bo & 308win

More will be coming & some in other cartridges (300wsm, 270wsm or 6.8west & maybe 458wsm, 338wsm or 50wsm)
Have u looked at the 6mm Max?

SRP's are abundant and cheaper than LRP's (if you find any, especially magnums) and making cartridges that use SRP's can save big money (even for AR's). 308win range ammo is still pricey. Usually range ammo (like mil-surp) isn't precision ammo, but reloading using low dollar bullets and 5-7 cent primers can make it worth the time. Where I live I have to order primers cause there's no place to buy them. It is worth reloading for gas guns, but it's a choice like others.
Oh interesting, I had not thought of trying to run. SRP .308 brass, that could change my calculus

Recent Posts