Woodchuck Hunt 08'

Kevin Cram

Hello,
If you've been following along in the where ya at post, I volunteered to host a wood chuck hunt in my area for a few guys. The weather has dampened our plans and then the grass got too high. Well the grass was cut last week and the mommy chucks had the little ones and now the farm is just polluted with chucks big and small. The majority of our shooting has been from 500-900 but when conditions are good we have a new spot we can shoot out to around 1350. Joel Russo and Dave Wilson have accepted the invite to join me and JUDD and it looks like the conditions are right to hunt this Thursday 5-29-08. I'll contact everyone by e-mail or phone for deffinate plans, and anyone else who can get a day off and would like to have a good time shooting chucks pm me with your contact info. Can't wait !!!gun)

It was a lot of fun. I got to see Kevin's shop and that was interesting.

We scared several chucks in the morning at ranges of 600-900 yards. I got a little worried when they fired up the BBQ grill right when I was fixing to shoot at the one at 600 yards so I deliberately missed him three times being as I have tried BBQ chuck before and didn't want any more.

Joel showed up in his wimpmobile being as his truck was freshly washed and waxed and he didn't want to get it dirty, but he brought his 338-408 so no one dared to say much about it. He also brought me a new stock, so I was happy.

The amount of optical equipment set up was more impressive than the guns. It just really reinforces the idea that the most important job is to actually find an animal to shoot at. And it is just a lot of fun to try to find an animal.

I had to leave at noon and all the chucks were still alive and doing well.

Jim,
It's a shame you had to leave at noon. We thought you had the chuck in the bag so we fired up the grill for horderves. Although we got moved from our original spot we did manage to see a few chucks but the distances were rather far for chuck hunting and the higher grass made it even more difficult. I killed one towards the evening at 1175 yards with the 2nd shot using my .338-.378 Weatherby and JUDD killed one at 1277 yards on the first shot with the same rifle. I believe everyone had a good time as the stories were swapped and all we did was talk guns all day. JUDD and I got to shoot Joel's .338-408 Chey-Tec at 1200 yards. It's almost more fun to watch the bullets from that rifle than actually shooting it. I know I had a great time and the company was superb. Thanks to JUDD who's hunting spot it was, BuffaloBob, Joel Russo and his dad for a fun day hunting chucks.

Figures! I send the man my stuff and he goes hunting, gonna look for me a card carrying peta member, non-hunting smith! LMAO, glad you guys had a good time!congrats on the 1175 chuck kevin.
RR

BB's right, I left the big truck at home and took the car. After all this was a business trip....
Talk about a man looking for something to shoot at.. BB drove at least six hours just to hunt for three.
Glad you made the trip, I'ts always fun being around you.

We had a great time, and managed to amass an incredible amout of firepower to shoot at these vicious critters of the east. Here's what showed up:

.240 Weatherby Spencer Built
.240 Weatherby Hammonds Built
6.5-.284 MCR
.308 Savage Tactical
7 Allen Mag
.284 Baer
.338-.378 Weatherby MRC
.338-.408 Big Baer

We had a tough time with the high grass and groundhogs that acted like they were on high doses of caffeine, but Kevin and Judd made two nice shots and if I'm not mistaken Kevin has them on tape..

I'm looking forward to the next outing, it's always fun to get together with those that enjoy doing the same thing.

Thanks to Kevin and Judd for taking the time to put this together.

Thursday was a nice day as far as the weather is concerned. I should have taken off work and came along. Got to work, parts didn't have what I needed for my job, and we were slow in the shop. Go figure. Sounds like those were some impressive shots, good shooting guys.

Good Day

Definitly was a good day. Met some new people, Shot some new guns, And left with a big ole smile on my face.

Not sure what the smile was from it was either finally breaking the 1k mark with a kill on a chuck or it was from sending a round downrange form Joel's 338-408. What a peice of machinery that was!!! Impressed is not even the word!

Can't wait till next time fella's!!

weapons of the hunt

My Savage Tactical 308
DSCI0015.jpg

Glad someone finally posted some pictures.

While JUDD told you he was impressed with my .338-.408...... what he didn't tell you is that his first and only shot out of it squarely hit a baseball sized rock in the dirt at 1200 yards. Now that's some fine shooting JUDD.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.