Wolves Kill Woman in Alaska

Re: wolf attack

I wonder if they where mis-identified as coyotes. I know wolf-lovers are trying to blame coyotes for obvious wolf kills on full grown cows.

I have been around coyotes all of my life and have "Never" seen or heard of one
being aggressive towards a grown person . Just the opposite. They treat us like predators
and run as fast as they can to avoid us.

Wolfs on the other hand see us as an easy meal and when the tree hugger realizes this
we will all be better off .

Common sense tells most hunters that when they are in an area that has Bear.mountain lions,
Hogs, Wolves and other predators to man they should have some sort of protection.

Anyone with good sense won't go into a ghetto at night buy themselves or with out protection
because they know there are predators there and what the outcome could be.

Just my opinion.

J E CUSTOM

[QUOTE

Anyone with good sense won't go into a ghetto at night buy themselves or with out protection
because they know there are predators there and what the outcome could be.

J E CUSTOM[/QUOTE]

Good point to keep in mind in discussions. I think much of our culture is just in a 'Bambi' mindframe when it comes to wildlife. Are these wildlife situations rare? Yes. But, it's also rare for me to go into the 'ghetto'.

I have been around coyotes all of my life and have "Never" seen or heard of one being aggressive towards a grown person . Just the opposite. They treat us like predators and run as fast as they can to avoid us.

J E CUSTOM

JE,
Not to cause any squabble, but there was a documented & confirmed coyote killing of a 19-year old woman in Canada in October, 2009. Two coyotes got credit for taking the woman down. The incident occured in a Canadian National Park where hunting was not allowed. Below are two links to new articles reporting on the incident.

My opinion is the National Parks, Preserves, or any other land management areas where hunting is prohibited creates the greatest risk of predation kills on humans. The bold predators typically get taken out during hunting seasons where hunting is legal. After a generation or two of protection, a few of these predators get bolder and bolder around humans concluding in an attack or killing. I've seen it happen with brown bears here where I live. Mother bears train their cubs that hanging around humans is OK. Those cubs teach their cubs. Then someone gets attacked or killed, just like clockwork.

Update: Here are two links to news articles reporting on this coyote attack and kill of the 19-year old singer in the Cape Breton Highlands National Park in Nova Scotia, Canada. October, 2009.

http://ca.reuters.com/article/domesticNews/idCATRE59R4J720091028

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/nova-scotia/story/2009/10/27/ns-coyote-attack.html

Last edited:
I was in western PA a couple of weeks ago. My brother who hunts coyotes with dogs says that the PA variety of yote is larger than the western variety do to some wolf influence????

phorwath's note of 2 coyotes killing humans makes the total that I'm aware of 3......

Hmmmmm

Just another reason to 'carry'.....

Number of people killed by wolves = 1

Number of people kill by drunk driving = 13,846

Thanks for the facts Buffalobob. I didn't take from your post that we should shoot all the DUI's responsible but rather it caused me to put things in perspective. For me I realized I spent more time reading what everyone had to say about a death attributed to a predator/s who's only doing what's natural and zero amount of time in my entire life doing anything about deaths attributed to DIU's by irresponsible, give a s&^t well fed humans. By the way since it's now approxiamitly 36 hours since your post the DUI death count is now gone up roughly 2 per hour so.

Number of people killed by wolves = still 1

Number of people kill by drunk driving = 13,846 + 72 =13,918

The single largest threat to the future of hunting as we know it is found at this link

US & World Population Clock

There are three kinds of people - hunters, anti hunters and the don't care.

The don't care portion increases daily and out numbers the other two kinds.

You can polarize the don't care people into anti hunters by SSS behavior or by things like this.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f30/coyote-deer-dumped-river-54110/#post372427

One other thing about the population issue is that all of those people require space. Where do you think they are going to live shop and go to school. Down in the flat lands which to big game biologists is known as winter range.

Game populations are at an all time high by artificial management such as can be found on the Utah DNR website and their response to the hunter survey on elk. Artificial manipulation of the gene pool produces Perdue chickens and herefords and it is being used on game animals for the satisfaction of hunters but the wolves are going to put a monkey wrench into that artificial management. So there is a faction of the hunters who are upset because the elk are going to be smaller, faster and spookier in a few generations under natural selection management by the wolves. And the human predator/interactions will increase in frequency.

Number of people killed by wolves = 1

Number of people kill by drunk driving = 13,846

Thanks for the facts Buffalobob. I didn't take from your post that we should shoot all the DUI's responsible but rather it caused me to put things in perspective.

I didn't let the imagination run wild with my response. Did you overlook the last sentence? Or neglect to include it?

Perhaps we should go and shoot all of the people who drink and drive.

It was quite a change in gear from the Thread discussion. I don't know what to make of it. I don't pretend to know the thoughts of another - but there's the final sentence of the post.

Some family lost one of their own. That last thing they need now is to trivialize their loss - no matter how noble the intended cause. That explains the basis for my response.

Phorwath, It was the word perhaps in Buffalobob's last sentence that caused me to take pause, think and reflect and took it as retorical versus we should kill all DUI's. I hope that clears up any questions you have.

I had no concern with your post and you owe me no explanation however it was considerate on your part to provide one.

While we've had this exchange the death count from wolves is still one and DUI death count has gone up by 42 to 13,960 so I'm going to leave the wolves alone and try to figure out what I can do to help reduce DUI death rate. I've gone to several websites to get some ideas but still looking so if you have any thoughts or suggestions let me know. Thanks.

There is nothing to do about drunk drivers, other than to drive defensively in the effort to avoid becoming one of their victims. There aren't enough jails in the country to keep them off the roads, unless we let the 1st degree convicted murderers and other violent types out of prison.

Might as well fix what can be fixed to keep the wolves record at 1 kill. The woman eating wolves will be dispatched by the State of Alaska as soon as the blizzard weather conditions lift at Chignik Bay. Aerial track and shoot by helicopter - no fair chase intended.

However, I'm certain drunk drivers will continue killing as they have since the invention of the automobile. Drunk drivers are like wars. There always has been - always will be.

Don't no why the topic of drunk driving has been brought up in this thread. Totally irrevelant to the original thread.
I am sorry for the family of this woman, and hope the wolves are taken out.
As far as controlling the wolf population in general, I am all for it.

I think there are more wolf encounters than we get to hear about. We had one here in my neck of the woods last fall that never hit the papers. Evidently the powers that be decided that it did not need to be reported. A woman was walking her dog and was knocked to the ground by a wolf that was going after her dog.

I don't think the wolf got his fearsome reputation over the centuries because of his looks. We have very little documentation of wolf attacks because we were actively exterminating them. I am not calling for extermination, but I am not sure if there is enough room for both of us. The wolves that we have here in MT now seem to be different than the wolves that we used to have. We have always had small population. The wolves we have now seem to be much more destructive than what we used to have. I have read that they are not timber wolves, but tundra wolves. And that they have killed what few native wolves that we had.

I'll say it again. Pandora's box is open, and untill our people are hungry and feal an effect at the grocery store, nothing will be done about it. When it is decided to do something about it, it will be a monumental task. Teach your kids to hunt now so that your grand kids will be able to hear the stories.

Steve

I think there are more wolf encounters than we get to hear about. We had one here in my neck of the woods last fall that never hit the papers. Evidently the powers that be decided that it did not need to be reported. A woman was walking her dog and was knocked to the ground by a wolf that was going after her dog.

I don't think the wolf got his fearsome reputation over the centuries because of his looks. We have very little documentation of wolf attacks because we were actively exterminating them. I am not calling for extermination, but I am not sure if there is enough room for both of us. The wolves that we have here in MT now seem to be different than the wolves that we used to have. We have always had small population. The wolves we have now seem to be much more destructive than what we used to have. I have read that they are not timber wolves, but tundra wolves. And that they have killed what few native wolves that we had.

I'll say it again. Pandora's box is open, and untill our people are hungry and feal an effect at the grocery store, nothing will be done about it. When it is decided to do something about it, it will be a monumental task. Teach your kids to hunt now so that your grand kids will be able to hear the stories.

Steve

+1. saveelk.com details a few of these encounters, but I know myself of several others (among many more I don't know about) from family and friends in MT that were quite threatening in their nature. Have had several close encounters with the critters while kayaking along the west coast of Vancouver Island over the years. Wake up with wolf tracks in the sand circling the tent, or a huge 'pile' deposited 20' from the tent that wasn't there last night, etc. Landed on a beach all of a sudden there's a wolf standing 40' that's not that interesting in moving off, etc. The other's I've run into, tucked tail and ran the other way, however. There's been several attacks on kayakers by wolves on the west coast of Vancouver Island over the years, one of them mentioned on saveelk.com.

They are here to stay now but need to be handled like AK is handling them--like WY wants to. The idea of introducing to MT, ID and WY a non-native subspecies that was not here in the first place using hunting taxdollars in part to finance it and then calling this new subspecies endangered--what irony, what abuse of common sense and the law as a means to and end and what a joke.

Now they spreading to every other state in the west. A couple of years ago, it was documented the WA had it's first pups born over by Winthrop. OR has them, CO has them, NM has them.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.