winchester model 88, 284 winchester loads

tooth doc

i just acquired a mod 88 winchester in 284 winchester. i am looking for reloading suggestions for this rifle. usually use barnes ttsx or berger hybrids. this is standard, not carbine barrel, 22 in i believe. dont know twist. if it doesnt shoot well i will replace barrel with a benchmark. suggestions

Its your rifle to do with what you want, I just have a question? Why would you re-barrel that particular rifle. Re-barrel will ruin it's value both historical and financial. Maybe try different loads/bullets and replace it with a different rifle if it does not shoot accurately enough for what you want?

Its your rifle to do with what you want, I just have a question? Why would you re-barrel that particular rifle. Re-barrel will ruin it's value both historical and financial. Maybe try different loads/bullets and replace it with a different rifle if it does not shoot accurately enough for what you want?
i stated , would only rebarrel if i cant get it to shoot. this is a nice, WELL USED rifle. not a pristine safe queen. i want to use and shoot it. will be restocking in nice english, but will keep original stock. i dont sell guns, this will be mine till i pass, and i want it nicer than the bean counters were delivering post 64. i love the concept though.

There are some pre- 64's, in that caliber,, IIRC.
I have coveted one for a while, though the only specimen I've shouldered is a '73.
I'm warned they tend to walk once they heat up, and the BLR in 284 Win was recommended to me instead.

I love your choice in rifle and caliber , I have a friend in Wyoming that has taken a ton of game with his 88 in 284. It is the sweetest little rifle , so enjoy ! I would stick to more conventional loads with premium bullets It's not going to be a ultra tack driver but they do shoot well and it's a beautiful rifle to carry. Look if it gives you to much trouble PM me and I'll take it off your hands! Lol you have a rare rifle !

That's not really a rifle that a guy will be able to change out the barrel but, they shoot tiptop. Triggers are fine on them as is, difficult to impossible to gunsmith better. Magazine and feeding of rounds might be an influence on bullet shapes, Speer's work in mine quite well. Great rig, good luck!!

Last edited: