Wildcat bullet expansion question

Alucard

Hey guys. This one is for all of us Wildcat Bullet shooters. I have used a number of Richards bullets in a few calibers now. The only problem is that I am out, and I have only shot these at paper. How is the terminal performace of these bullets? Particularily in the .224 calibers. Are they explosive compared to the other .224 cal varmint bullets on the market today ie: TNTs, Nosler, V-Max etc.?

Also, would the 210 ULD HP be a good choice for varmints out past 500 yards in 30 cals? Thanks for the info guys!!

I don't have an answer for you right now but plan on having one in the next few days. I don't know what grain .224 bullets you have but I am currently trying the 45 grain P10 flat base and the 52 grain P8 flat base and will be trying them on animals soon. I will speculate and say the 45 grainer with the large open hollow point should be very explosive! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Will post back soon on these!! As for the .30 cal I can't answer that cause I dont own one anymore but I will have some results on the .284 soon with 169.5 RBBT ULD's!

What cartridge of .224 is that? I would like to try them in a .223 Rem, .22-250 Rem, and a .220 Swift. I have tried the 45 gr P10 on paper. Boy those things shoot!!! I wouldn't maind giving the 52gr a shot and see how those work out for me. Thanks for the quick reply! Keep em coming guys!!

Alucard,

Most of the ULD RBBT bullets are relatively thin jacketed bullets. The smaller caliber bullets using the J-4 jackets will come apart very violently on critters when driven past 3500 fps. In the 22-250 and larger rounds they are very impressive.

The larger calibers really depend on what you will be shooting them out of. The 210 ULD RBBT HP will open up very similarly to the Berger VLD.

At extreme range you will not get any bullet to offer dramatic expansion. That is why when the range gets much past 1000 yards, the larger frontal area bullets simply perform better even on varmint size game like chucks.

FOr P-dogs, any solid hit will flip them significantly.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Thanks for the info fiftydriver.

I am not familiar with the performance of the Berger VLD. How do they perform? I have shot some Nosler Custom Comp 168 gr (J4s) 30 cal bullets out of the .300 RUM and hit some gophers at about 200 yards. Sends em flying good, but nice neat 30 cal holes. How are the Wildcats compared to those?

Alucard,

Will be similiar with slightly more expansion due to the unique meplat on the Wildcat Bullets, at least the 169.5 gr which si a bit rounded at the tip. This may initiate a bit more expansion but more importantly it will displace more tissue vis hydrostatic shock waves.

There are no true VLD or ULD bullets that are great expanding bullets. The A-Max would probably be the best but it will not compete ballistically with a true VLD or especially a ULD bullet design.

Good SHooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Alucard they are going to be shot out of all the calibers you listed. I don't have a .223 but my buddy johnnyk does and of course I will share with him! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif We will have some on game performance maybe by Friday I hope. Will post back as soon as we get done!

Re: Wildcat bullet expansion questions and answers!

Alucard I did a couple of tests today finally! The weather aint been great lately. I took a couple of small animals such as cats ( 1 ) crows ( 1 ) robins ( 3 ) The 45 grainers made a mess of the robins blowing them into 2 pieces all 3 of them! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif The cat and crow were taken with the 52 grainer and blew a nice fat hole in them! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif They were all shot from a 22.250 but we haven't chronoed them yet but maybe by the weekend I will have some more info as far as velocities and maybe some .223 results as well on the 52 grainer. So far they are working like a charm! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
At extreme range you will not get any bullet to offer dramatic expansion.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to disagree here fifty. I have shot chucks with the Amax bullets out to 1300 yards and had them still expand violently. The Berger vld's still do a fair job of killing at 1500 with the calibers bigger than 6mm, but the Amax detonates anything in any caliber anywhere in my experience.

GG,

If you read my next post down from that one you quoted you will see that I list the A-Max as the best of the breed at expanding but I would much rather have the higher ballistic Performance of a true VLD or ULD in comparision. I also generally use larger calibers for extreme range varminting so expansion is not a nessesity for certain kills at extreme range.

I agree the A-Max will perform very well compared to VLD and ULD HP designs as far as expansion goes.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Thanks for the update 7RUMoader. Those bullets sound like they should do nicely for me!

I just picked up some 155gr 30cal A-Max bullets to try out in the 300 RUM for longer shots on varmints. Hopefully I can get them to shoot. Any suggestions on a load to try out? I use H4831SC, H1000, and Retumbo for the Ultra. Thanks again!!

Alucard I have had the best luck with H-1000, Retumbo and H-50BMG powder in my 7Rum. Retumbo has yielded the best velocities and some good groups but almost every bullet I have stacked over the BMG powder has shot very accurate. The H-1000 has been the best overall performer when you combine all factors like velocity, group size and ES and SD. The 50 BMG powder is delivering very good velocity spreads in the low teens and some single digit spreads but velocities with this powder have averaged 100 to 150 FPS slower than the rest but if you talking about looong range it would be a good idea to give up that 100 fps for small single digit variations in velocity! Check out hodgdons website they have some good info for loads on the Rums but some have proved to be on the consevative side in my rig.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts