Why no .458 cal LR bullets?

EXPRESS

I realize that there are few LR rounds in .458 cal. The .460Styer is the only significant one that comes to mind.

However with the advent of the copper bullet phase, all the conpanies are offering .375 and .416 bullets which as well as being used in the Cheytacs Barrets and like, probably also get used in "normal" rifles and chamberings too.

I am looking into getting a heavy barrelled synthetic stocked safari rifle in .458 win or Lott. With a treaded muzzle and repeatable, removable scope mounts I was thinking of putting an LR capable scope and brake on it, which can both come off and the rifle be used as a regular hunting rifle with a hunting scope.

I'm not having illusions of great range, but for example with the CEB .416 375gn MTH with a BC of .82 even 1000 yards might be on the cards, but 600-800 certainly is on the cards.

So why doesn't anyone make .458 cal bullets suitable for LR?

The .458Lott offers a lot of possibilities and I can't see why bullets in .458 cal around 500 grains couldn't reach near the 1's in G1 BC.

I mean, 600 - 1000 is possible using a CEB MTH .416 375gn out of a .416 rem, Ruger or anything else in that chambering found in hunting rifles.

My buddy has a .45 caliber muzzleloader that uses smokeless powder. We shoot Parker Productions bullets out of it. They have a flat base, but a long, pointy aluminum nose. Even going 2500 fps they do pretty well at 600-700 yards, and that's with them stuffed down the front of the barrel which is much less consistent IMO.

A 500gr bullet from a 458wm only does around 2100fps and out of a Lott around 2300fps. That doesn't translate into long range very well. CEB also makes a 340gr .416 with a .780 BC that can be pushed to 2600+ from a standard 416 Rem or 2800+ from a Weatherby or long barreled 416RUM. That would make a much better choice for long range.

I'm sure CEB will make you whatever custom bullet you want as long as you pay for several hundred up front.

I have a custom savage/stevens smokeless muzzleloader that is 458.

I have shoot parkers that were mentioned and now shoot 344 gr Bombs with BH209(for hunting in utah). I shoot them sabot less at 2400ish FPS they have a BC around .400 at my velocity. Put me out to 600 yard before subsonic.

They are coming out with a new full copper bullet in the near future as well.

My guess, most 458's are dangerous game chamberings. Yeah you got the 460 styer but LR .458 chamberings are very limited unless you look at the handful of .458 wildcats even then not many come to mind. So there's not much reason for all that many High B.C .458 bullets. I was going to explore going the route of the 375VM necked up to 458 but Dave stopped building rifles and brass seems to be unobtainable.

The bullet companies are about sales not experiments. They will sell 10,000 30 calibers to one .458. Find someone with a lathe to turn some bullets for you.

Also the recoil on my .458 WM was so violent it gave me mild whiplash. I can't imagine going prone on one of the larger capacity 458 out there without a break. But I am so hard of hearing I refuse to use one.

The .375 H&H I bought killed a lion and Cape Buffalo just fine.

Good luck on your quest.

Jerry

I have 2 different .458 wildcats drawn up but I just don't have time to work with them. One should be able to hit around 2400 fps with a 650gr bullet and the other may be in the 2550-2600fps range. They'd both be purpose built long range guns though and not really dual purpose builds.

FWIW, I planned on VLD style bullets in the 600+ grain range so you would need the proper twist rate to make them work. Hammer Bullets can make you just about anything you want and I talked to Steve a few weeks back about this exact idea.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.