Why are some cases tight and others loose?

The area just above the web of the case is subjected to expansion thus sticking, like this causes the "clicker" problem but also might cause problems in chambering. This is also the area that will separate upon excessive headspace. The remedies are using a small base die or chamber modifications. Finding a small base die for the .28 Nosler might be a problem. I use the cheap & available Lee F/L dies that size down to .2 inches from cartridge base for many of my rifles like - .22-.250, 6mmCM, 6.5CM, 6.5PRC, & others but could not find a cheap (like under $25) Lee F/L die for the .28 Nosler. Another die that might fix the problem is the Redding .28 Nosler body die. My Redding body dies appear to size more of case body near .2 of base, like my .22-.250 Redding body die applied to brass sized with my .22-.250 Forster F/L die.

Measuring case diameter variations just above the web or .2 inches will indicate the problem.

Last edited:
I once had brass from 3 different brands tested over a lot#. The brass varied 6% by brand and 12% over the three brands.

So, this has been a real eye opener. You can anneal the necks, but you have to live with the Rockwell hardness of the web and shoulder.
I just annealed several cases that I had put in a box for being hard to chamber. After annealing, I went through my normal procedures; resizing, priming and trimming. Everyone slipped in like a hot knife through butter. Thanks for all replies. It is nice to ask a sincere question and not have my intelligence attacked. Seems like the problem is solved. I greatly appreciate your willingness to help. Now all I have to do is try and find a deer in eastern Idaho. We need to put them on the endangered species list, at least here. Anyone wanting to hunt east Idaho along the Montana or Wyoming border country, save your money and time.