Which powder will give the most FPS per Dollar from a 20" barrel?

I guess it's the winter doldrums setting in…

2F42F2F8-E8DD-4F66-9998-CC63569C0E48.gif

Saskatchewan and Alberta do increasingly feel like their own thing in some ways.

The ideals of respecting individual autonomy, minding one's own business, working hard to earn a living, acknowledging agriculture as a the backbone of all modern civilization and paying due respect to those who feed us, and letting people provide for themselves and carve out their own path in this world are all very much things that Ottawa (and Quebec) don't respect.

Edit: I see you're from Alberta! You ain't getting out of this! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
I thought there were only 2 provinces.....until today....at least only 2 that stood for freedom and rights!

I'm am making 30-06 Deer loads right now, for my Mannlicher stocked inter Arms. 20 inch barrel. Using IMR 4350. I expect to shoot at the range in March. I share pics of targets then. This rifle will be used from an elevated Blind with ranges that will vary from 50 yards to 150 Yards. I will test 150 and 165 grn. Horn bullets, in Matched Federal cases, with Win LR Primers. I think I should be able to generate 2600/2650 fps.

Attachments

• IMG_3733INTER ARMS MARK X  30-06  Leupold scope.jpg
    IMG_3733INTER ARMS MARK X 30-06 Leupold scope.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 33
Okay okay, I'll give.

I've been watching all the banter on different threads on here and had some good laughs.
Thought I'd throw something out there in left field and see where it went.
It's gone pretty far so far. lol

I'm am making 30-06 Deer loads right now, for my Mannlicher stocked inter Arms. 20 inch barrel. Using IMR 4350. I expect to shoot at the range in March. I share pics of targets then. This rifle will be used from an elevated Blind with ranges that will vary from 50 yards to 150 Yards. I will test 150 and 165 grn. Horn bullets, in Matched Federal cases, with Win LR Primers. I think I should be able to generate 2600/2650 fps.
You might want a faster powder to use.

Per grain use the fastest per cartridge. Equates into less powder per load per bullet weight regardless of barrel length. 3n37 for 308 should do the trick?

I was thinking of just skipping the powder completely and put in a couple drops of CH3NO2.
It would be a lot cheaper at $40 a gallon.
Just gotta figure out how many drops before the kapluey...

Regardless of cartridge, a double base powder trumps the lot for velocity and, whatever powder gets the highest velocities in a longer barrel will also give the highest velocities in a shorter barrel down to about 18". Shorter than this depends on cartridge size as to which powder wins, ball powder often works best in short barrels, but this is not law by any means.

Cheers.

Recent Posts