Which powder will give the most FPS per Dollar from a 20" barrel?

deer-eats-popcorn_64.gif

Bang your head.gif

While I've never settled on it for a final load, I've experimented with rl 26 in just about everything I own and it's always been the top contender for velocity. The temp stability doesn't thrill me though as I live and hunt in south dakota where it can be 95 degrees during antelope season and -20 during deer season 6 weeks later.

I'm driving a 85gr HH over 3400 fps in my Savage 6.5CM with a 20" barrel with a stiff dose of W748. Works fine at 30 degrees….little sticky bolt at 55 degrees. No way under the sun that I will try shooting it any warmer than that.

Fastest powder? I dunno….but it's pretty fast in my VERY narrow application.

While I've never settled on it for a final load, I've experimented with rl 26 in just about everything I own and it's always been the top contender for velocity. The temp stability doesn't thrill me though as I live and hunt in south dakota where it can be 95 degrees during antelope season and -20 during deer season 6 weeks later.
Look at your H powders. I have generally stop using double based powders a long time ago. Maybe not quite as fast, but I don't have to worry about how the powder is going to do in any weather. There was a chart out here the other day that was very interesting.

Last edited:
Look at your H powders. I have generally stop using double based powders a long time ago. Maybe not quite as fast, but I don't have to worry about how the powder is going to do in any weather. There was a chart out here the other day that was very interesting.
Yeah I've always stuck with Hogdon extreme powders. There are faster powders out there but at the end of the day I'm a hunter and hunt multiple seasons a year and don't want to mess with calculating temp stability

pretty much any canister powder isn't going to give you much bang for the buck in today's market. I opt for mil-surp 50 cal. ball powder in a cartridge big enough to handle it... The biggest problem with mil-surp today is there isn't much supply left that's worth buying.