Which non lead bullet for deer

DAbersold

Sorry guys - I'm sure this has been asked before but, here in California, the powers that be (morons) have decided that we hunters have to use non lead bullets for all hunting starting in a couple years. I figured I might as well start putting together some loads now. I have never used non lead bullets so I'm at a loss. I shoot a 257 Roberts and a 30-06 for deer and bear. Berger, Nosler E-tip, Barns, Hornaday? I do know I need to shoot the one that is most accurate out of my gun. Anything else I should consider? I will be shooting out to a max of about 500yds.

Only your gun can tell you which bullet it likes best.

My choice for hunting is the BARNES TTSX bullet. I use it in .308, .30-06, 300WM, and 7mm. As long as I do my part, they work.

Barnes works great. I have also had incredible results with the Cutting Edge bullets in my 243 winny. But they are quite expensive.

Sorry guys - I'm sure this has been asked before but, here in California, the powers that be (morons) have decided that we hunters have to use non lead bullets for all hunting starting in a couple years. I figured I might as well start putting together some loads now. I have never used non lead bullets so I'm at a loss. I shoot a 257 Roberts and a 30-06 for deer and bear. Berger, Nosler E-tip, Barns, Hornaday? I do know I need to shoot the one that is most accurate out of my gun. Anything else I should consider? I will be shooting out to a max of about 500yds.
The limited experience I've had with the Hornady GMX left me with a good impression of them.

Consistent expansion to about 1.5-2x diameter, no break up, tracked well through game, nice pass through without excessive meat loss.

As you say though the key is in finding one that shoots well in your rifle but that's where I'd start.

Have had good accuracy with the TSX in all rifles I have. The LRX works well in my 30-06 and according to Barnes will expand down to 1600 fps. I haven't put any on game yet though.

I too live in Ca so all rifles get a copper work up for hunting and then the lead.

I got reminded reading another thread on dangerous game bullets of the Perigrine bullets.

They are worth a look. They are a very popular bullet in South Africa and I shot several of my animals using Privi Partisan 300wm loaded with their 180gr Plains Master bullet.

PlainsMaster Reloading Bullets - Peregrine Bullets

These qualities make the Peregrine PlainsMaster reloading bullets truly breath-taking in its effectiveness and performance:

The Peregrine PlainsMaster boasts consistent, predictable expansion and weight retention independent of velocity or target animal. Velocities between 3400fps down to 1600fps have reliably been tested over the years.

Due to its unique driving-band design, the PlainsMaster provides increased velocity, while offering less recoil and reduced pressure on the barrel and chamber. The softer material used serves to enhance barrel life in hunting rifles.

This bullet will not fail, fragment or bend.

The PlainsMaster is customized for reloading.

The PlainsMaster retains 90% or more of its weight upon impact, and, as a result of the solid mushroom formation, which dumps most of its momentum and energy into the target animal.

This bullet is ideal for hunting over the medium to long range (up to approximately 650 yards for calibers under 308). The 338 has a kill-range of over 1000 yards.
The brass plunger works on the principal of pneumatic expansion. Trapped air hyper-compresses upon impact, resulting in explosive expansion. This patented plunger design is unique to Peregrine Bullets which is why Peregrine Bullets can expand at lower impact velocities.

As a result of its lower weight in comparison to lead-bullets (approximately 10% – 15% lighter for the same form-factor), the Peregrine PlainsMaster achieves a higher velocity, reduced recoil and high energy transfer.

I had run into a problem with the Swift SiroccoII being too soft for the tough skinned and just tough overall African game and these were recommended to me.

They shot exceptionally well and performance on game was equally impressive.

Barnes 180g TTSX in 300 Win Mag has been working on elk for me. In the last ten months I've taken mature 6x6 and 5x6 bulls and a cow and they all go down right where I shoot them. They don't drop like a rock, they've just sort of stood there for a few seconds while I chamber another round and then tip over.

On the 6x6 it was a clean double lung pass through at 180 yards, on the 5x6 it was through the front shoulder and into the second shoulder at 140 yards and the bullet did not exit. He went down right there but I did take a second safety shot to finish him off. Plus, I had run nearly two miles in a full pack at high altitude in the rain over the top of a mesa to get ahead of he and his cows and had zero interest in chasing or tracking him.

The cow elk was one and done with a double lung pass through at 239 yards.

None of these are long range shots obviously and the reason I use copper all year is that one of my hunts requires it and I don't want to deal with two different types of ammo. Consequently I can't speak to their performance at longer distances. If you are interested I can probably find some photos of the internal entry exit wounds on the two bulls. It's definitely not like it blew a giant gaping hole out the other side.

I still have two elk tags to fill this season and since I'm just learning more about LRH I'm going to try to stretch my shots out a bit but still where I feel comfortably accurate.

Robert
Las Vegas

Thank you for the info gentlemen. I noticed that the Nosler E-tip was not mentioned. Are there faults with that bullet? Thanks again.

If used for strictly hunting I would recommend the cutting edge bullets. Sure they are pricey, but I have found that they shoot as accurate as any bullet out there. Just find a powder charge that they like site in and go hunting. Barnes are a very close second as they are accurate also, but don't have the BC's of the cutting edge bullets which is the main reason I choose them. I use the cutting edge bullets in my 416 RUM for long range work and A-frames for up close and personal stuff as this is my guide gun. Shots under 500 yards I would stay with the barnes and 500 and over go with the cutting edge bullets.

Reuben

I'm here in California too, but moved to the unleaded bullets years ago and have been very pleased with them. We use both the TSX and TTSX, whichever is going to shoot better in any given rifle. I tried the E-Tips also, but just have more comfort and have better luck with the Barnes product, most likely because I have much more experience with them.

We've taken everything from coyotes up to elk and Kudu with them and have had great consistency. Closest shots have been 20 yards up to 520 on a big bull elk.

The 127 grain LRX shoots .33 MOA from my 6.5x284 and does a lot of damage. This buck was 618 yards and had an exit the size of a quarter(not huge) but everything was vaporized and he never got up. I heard it hit , he turned his head to the right for 15 seconds then rolled down the hill. Dead.
They were a little harder to tune than Bergers and hit pressure at lower velocity(I can only push the 127LRX to about what I run the 140 Berger, a little over 3,000) but the Cutting Edge seem softer and act more like lead, close to lead in the reloading guides.

Attachments

• 20151030_100000(0).jpg
    20151030_100000(0).jpg
    43 KB · Views: 168
  • 20151030_112516.jpg
    20151030_112516.jpg
    319.4 KB · Views: 318
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.