Which MT “trophy” elk districts?

Good luck on your draw ! Ive drawn one special elk archery tag. Was ok, drought year, not near the bulls of past,My friend had tag 15 years ago and saw 25 bulls on some days.Many 350, they good ol days

Yeah, the units can sure move around as to what's hot and what's not. The 3 units I'm thinking are far removed from most people's radar but uffda there are some good bulls in them Found some great sheds so far and with the points this guy has he could easily draw these units:)

Last edited:
Yeah, the units can sure move around as to what's hot and what's not. The 3 units I'm thinking are far removed from most people's radar but uffda there are some good bulls in them Found some great sheds so far and with the points this guy has he could easily draw these units:)
If you think there are secret elk "units" in Montana Ive got some ocean front property Ill sell you outside of Belt too.

Belt would be a good place to own some waterfront...maybe on Otter Creek:)

Note, I didn't say "secret elk units...........I said the units are far removed from most people's radar.......bit of a diffy there.

Yeah any unit in the State General or Special can produce big bulls. In fact the biggest bulls I know of consistently year in year out are killed by guys with mad elk skills in general units. The "good" special draw units just have better odds for big bulls and even then plenty of those tags get eaten. Mule deer are an all together different story. .

That bull in your avatar is anyones dream bull.Yes myself and a few freinds have taken 10 +,350 type bulls in general areas.A few of us where I live also had good luck on large mule deer before the wolfs added to the mix. I use to see a 180 every year, my problem I didn't start hunting high country mules til I was 40, now at 60 it is a hard game.

A true 180 main frame is a beast, in all honesty if a fella on public land (and not border hunting a big private ranch) can find a true 170 it's tough to do much better than that. Unless of course one has a rubber tape:)

Wilderness,got my kid in on this one bout 7 years ago.He said it was to small for me, heh.It was 200 gross, local kid shot one real similar this year around here somwhere
IMG_1239.JPG

that's a darn good looking mountain buck, have any more pics to share?

I see a good mountain buck once every 4 or so years

When I was young n dumb.Was 30 miles in Bob and climbed alders for hrs to get in a basin. Saw 4 mules bucks at timberline, one was the biggest Ive ever seen.If you saw the record typical poached over by Lettermans that F&G has, this was same. Had my 340 and guess was 500, before LR. I got closer going threw a sliver of timber, he snuck out top.My friend saw from across from me. This buck I shot in timber, had many does, he started my mules madness.Thats a ol Leupold black ring tact Mildot. I shot elk out to 800 with that set up
IMG_0336.JPG

Love that pic! With the weather, the old buck and the old Mark V. I love the .340, long had a love affair with one. Wore out a Schneider barrel on my 700 and one on my 70. Think I'd done with the round as of now, even though I still have a 70 push feed in 340 I just don't want the bump anymore...great round though and accurate as all heck!

Related to this thread.There are a few secret spots that are locked in by private, only access by air

Ive spent my life hunting many spots in MT and ID,that has large bulls.But the stars have not aligned for me.Seen great bulls come out from same trails or bulls I had on my hit list.When younger I would try find 350 plus and just hunt that bull,couldnt tell you how many 300 bulls I've past up but many.Those days are gone for me and Ive had tag soup more than once.Access is hard these days and I've lost spots that where my favorite do to that. But when it happens its great .Saw a 13 year old take a 380 bull, special draw.Mt does produce giants, I spent a majority of time in wilderness type where they age.But the feed and lack of predators in some areas east side are far superior.

Related to this thread.There are a few secret spots that are locked in by private, only access by air

Correct, one just needs to be a bit creative to get into them.

IMO, a corner crossing bill needs to be carried in the next session in 25