Which Garmin to buy?

I have tryede both the 60 and the 62st, and prefer the 62, ist great, but make sure you always bring fresh batterys.
Littlebear

My first Garmin was an Etrex Vista. Great little unit, though the HCx is the best in that series. Went to a 60CSx. Very accurate, and the best at the time. I then bought an Oregon 550t. It wasn't that accurate, the screen was hard to read in sunlight, the touch screen did not work with some gloves. I sold it and just bought a 62sc. I wanted the camera but not the overpriced topo map from Garmin. What I have learned over the years: a gps with a good external antenna is more accurate, the touch screen can be difficult to see and does not work that well (it's not like the touch screen on a cell phone). Give me an external antenna, buttons, lots of memory and SD card capabilities & I'm happy.

I have a Garmin Oregon 450T and really like it. Also a 60csx and may still feel a little more comfortable with the button controls vs. on-screen touch of the 450. Hve GPS Hunting Plat maps loaded as well as Birdseye imaging of my favorite spots on the Oregon...Love it.

Thanks guys for the comments and advise on the Garmin's, witch to buy. Just found Garmin.com had the 62stc on sale this weekend at $200 off, ordered it and some accessories. I have the Hunt Map SD card for Washington St, can't wait to get it all put together... This is going to be a great Coyote season. Jim G:)

Hi Guys,
I've been doing some reading up, etc., on handheld units. I like the Garmin Montana 600 series, for the screen size. I don't need the camera, so the 650T is out of the running. Just wondering what unit do you think I would need: 650, 600, or 600T? It will be used mostly for hunting in WI, and western states, on public land. What aptions would be needed...Birdseye/Basecamp, etc.
Thanks in advance,
Greg:)

I have the Montana 600 that I use for hunting and geocaching. I especially like the fact that you do not have to take your gloves off during the winter to work the touch screen controls. The only difference that I can see between the three models you are looking at is the camera and the price. The 600 I have will put me within 10 feet of a geo cache coordinates. I have used it from Pennsylvania to Hawaii, and from sea level to 10,000 feet with no trouble. It's really going to boil down to money and whether or not you need the camera function.:D:D

This is a very old thread, but what the heck. Cabelas mailing from yesterday has Garmin GPSMAPS 62S on sale for $199.99 starting Thursday May 1, 2014 thru May 14.

The first Garmin GPS I owned was a 3+. It lasted about 10 years and was very accurate. When it died I replaced it with a Garmin Oregon 450. I have SD card maps for Canada, Alaska, North America Topo and Roads, South East Marine Charts, and North Carolina Lakes and Rivers. The. Unit with all maps and settings it is about 100-400 yards out of sink with the actual location.
Got little support help from Garmin. My cell phone GPS is more accurate.
Nat Lambeth

I bought a 62st. After loading a satellite image it would lock up , not show the satellite image , or about 30% of the time actually work.

It is pretty good when it does work but it needs to be 100% not 30%…

Garmin support has not done anything since the first call 2 weeks ago. Poor support.

I've been trying to decide on a GPS unit myself for about six months or so. This thread is providing god insight. I wish more people would chime in with their ideas.

Rightly or wrongly I trust my fellow posters here when it comes to gear reviews vs reviews posted online by professionals I know nothing about.

I'm leaning towards one of the 600 series radios but am still undecided.

I'm leaning towards the radio simply because it's both a GPS and radio so if I get myself into trouble somewhere that doesn't have cell reception and I'm alone there's at least a chance there will someone out there who can hear me call for help.

Mario and I found out on our trip to NM at least some Game Warden's have scanners that pick up on Garmin's frequencies.

I'm just wondering though if the dedicated GPS only units offer better GPS capability than they do?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.