Which caliber for Remington 700 long action (3006 bolt face) rebarrel?

I have a Remington 700 long action with a bolt face for a 3006 and it is the drop floorplate type action for the internal magazine. What are some other cartridge options for this rifle with no modification other than the barrel swap of course? This would be hunting out to 400 yards (deer with a very occasional black bear) and target shooting out to 600 yards. I wish to keep relatively light weight so the barrel will be a sporter or magnum sporter type contour. I would like to keep the barrel to 24 inches max. I will put a brake on it if it is anything more than say a 7mm08 haha as I do not care for recoil lol. Open to all suggestions! As an FYI I do reload so outside the norm cartridges are ok. I currently shoot a 6.5creed, 6.5 prc (my love at the moment haha), 7mm08, 7mm rem mag and a 28nosler. I am trying to avoid hyper barrel burners like the 28nosler but I am ok with slight barrel burners like the traditional 300 win mag or 7mm rem mag. Thanks!

For the application that you have described here I have a .270 Ackley Improved that ought to fill the bill, the 25-06, 25-06 AI, 6.5-06 and the 6.5-06, .280 Ackley Improved<<excellent round} ought to work quite well for what you are proposing to hunt and at the distances you are planning on hunting at. Any of the "06" cartridges ought to match up with your bolt face and run quite well with the feed rails. I am getting a 3300+fps with 150gr ABLRs, 26 inch Lilja barrel contoured to Ruger 77 specs, and doing 2 shot MOAs at 300 yards.

I have a Remington 700 long action with a bolt face for a 3006 and it is the drop floorplate type action for the internal magazine. What are some other cartridge options for this rifle with no modification other than the barrel swap of course? This would be hunting out to 400 yards (deer with a very occasional black bear) and target shooting out to 600 yards. I wish to keep relatively light weight so the barrel will be a sporter or magnum sporter type contour. I would like to keep the barrel to 24 inches max. I will put a brake on it if it is anything more than say a 7mm08 haha as I do not care for recoil lol. Open to all suggestions! As an FYI I do reload so outside the norm cartridges are ok. I currently shoot a 6.5creed, 6.5 prc (my love at the moment haha), 7mm08, 7mm rem mag and a 28nosler. I am trying to avoid hyper barrel burners like the 28nosler but I am ok with slight barrel burners like the traditional 300 win mag or 7mm rem mag. Thanks!
6.5 sherman long. Fire form 270 brass and shoot 140 grain bullets 3300 fps plus. Rws makes brass that is as tough as nails and this calliber is extremely accurate.

I love my 3 / 25-06 all around Caliber !!

Been wanting to try the hammer line of bullets & the AG composites stock. How do you like'm? Thanks..
Both are awesome! The stocks are very light but structurally stiff. I have been putting them on all of my custom Rem hunting rifles. The Hammer bullets are now my go to hunting bullets. I have only shot 2 deer and 1 antelope with them, but they are all what they are advertised to be. I am not all wrapped up in super BC of bullets and for those that are that is fine, their choice. I want to depend on a bullet out to 600 yds with game. That is just me.

280Ackley fits that bill quite well. You will also have continuity of components with you other 7's. Some might find it redundant and you might find that it fills a niche better and you sell off the 7.08 or 7rm, as the 280ai is faster than the 08 and just a hair slower than the RM.
You stated my feelings so well, i wont bother. 280 AI is an amazing and underrated cartridge. Gets my vote in this situation.

For long action .473 bolt face and bear in the same gun with 24" max barrel length and 600 yard shot capabilities, I'd stick with the. 30-06. People shoot 1000yds all the time with the .308, so 600 with a magnum sporter .30-06 is easily achievable, plus you will burn all your power for it at 24 inches, AND I would want a .30 caliber minimum with bear of any sort being on the menu. Add a brake if you want, but shouldn't be necessary with the right stock.

270 Winchester barrel

Headspace gauge set

Ok, I'll bite.
Only 2 cartridges spring to mind seeing as what you already shoot.
Firstly, the 25-06 is hands down one of the most under-rated cartridges out there and can shoot FLAT.
Secondly, would be the 338-06, mild recoil, excellent elk taking abilities, perfect for all bears and is accurate too. I have mine sighted in for 250mtr zero and MPBR is 298 with 210gr NP's.
My father would recommend the 35 Whelen, he has one I built for him and likes it a lot, but he grabs his 270 more often these days, he is 75. Lol.

Cheers.

My 1993 BDL 700 30-06 22-inch stock barrel needed replacing, so I got a new stainless 24-inch take-off barrel from Numrich, got the 3-gauge set for checking headspace from PTG, and the Wheeler barrel wrench and vise and blocks from Midway USA. The headspace is perfect. But I had to put it in a SPS stock. But it has a nice Limbsaver pad on it.
I used brown sugar between the barrel and wood blocks. Rinse of with hot water when done.

Last edited:
284 Win. Great cartridge for the game you are hunting and the range with a sporter barrel along with a Bell & Carlson stock. If you want longer distance go with a heaverier barrel. A lot of "F" class shooters go with a 284 Win. As soon as the rest of my machinery comes in, I plan on cutting a chamber for this caliber. I am partial to the 270WSM, but different bolt.

30-06 spr.

The answer to your dilema is 30 gibbs. Nearly 10% extra powder over the parent case (30-06), and 300win perfomance, plus head space on the shoulder, cheap brass, etc. 24" 1:10 CF barrel, CF Ag stock and you get a great hunting tool.
Good luck with your project!!!!
Regards
V

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts