Which 338 Magnum

kfrye

Hi guys, I am new to the site, and wanted to ask opinions on whether there is much difference between 338 RUM or 338-378 in hitting what your aiming at past 1000 yards. Friends I shoot my 300 and 257 MKV WBY's have the bigger rifles and I want to play far away too.
I like the 338 RUM in Sendero, but would rather have a 338-378. Being that the 700 is preferred over the Mark V I am leaning toward a 338 WBY built in a custom 700 rather than a Accumark, which I would have close to the same money in after accurizing. Other than component cost, is there a major difference between the two in the real world? Or should I keep looking for a Sendero in 338 RUM?

Ken

I would recommend two things to consider.

1. Go to a 338 Lapua. Brass is better and cheaper. Ballistics are as good.

2. Not sure I would want to build that large a case on 700 action. Lot of dispute about that the viability of that action. Yea, yea, bunch will say that it can be done and others will say it is not safe.

What is the value you place on your eyes or life when it will cost the same to do it right?

When you consider the price of the action, cost of accurizing you can buy a custom action for same or less money. For example Bruce Baer (gunsmith in PA) is selling Lawton actions that will fit those cartridges for under $700. Sizes are 1.3", 1.450 and 1.650". Stiller Python will handle either and is $950, comes with trigger guard and tapered (20 MOA) rings to fit base milled on top of action.

BH

How does a Lapua compare to a 300 Ultra necked up to the 338? I take it this is the chambering that most custom makers call their proprietary 338, like the 338 Hart, Weaver etc.?

I don't know where you guys are getting your remington actions from that they are costing you $700 after being accurized. I just bought a new SPS for $500 canadian. Sold the barrel and stock for $225 and had it trued and lugs lapped for $100. That is $375 canadian and most of those cheaper customs do not come with triggers. I guess I will need some more convincing.

I agree with bountyhunter.With a round as intense as your contemplating for 1000 yd shooting,I would also opt for a custom action.Not that it cant be done with a 700 after a smith works it over,but with a custom for the foundation,IMO,your way ahead of the game.1000 yd guns arent cheap if you plan on hitting what your aiming at.Brunos has a 8.5" Bat with a mag bolt face listed on benchrest central right now that would be a nice start for such a gun.For a 338-300 RUM,thatd be the direction I'd head if I was building a 1000 yd boomer.
The 338 ultra is close to the lapua,and the 338-300 ultra has an advantage over the lapua.The lapua, as bountyhunter has higher quality brass available.
If you do a search for "338 EDGE" theres an excellent thread and link for the 338-300,built by Shawn Carlock.It should answer a lot of questions you may have on the 338.
Good luck with your project,which ever way you go /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

6mm shooter

Doubt you really had your action "completely" trued for $100 Cdn. You probably had front of the receiver trued. Lot more work that would have been done to have an action completely trued and blueprinted to be remotely close to a custom action. Yes, you spent less but you have way less also.

Most smiths quote $250-300 for that work and that does not include sleeving the bolt to get you to where you are close to a custom action. There is another thread going right now just about that very thing and lot of smiths quoted prices.

Used Rem triggers are $25-40 at most gunsmiths and ebay and complete new trigger adjustable trigger is only $100 or less.

Hope you "kissed" the guy(s) that paid $225 for rem SPS takeoff barrel and plastic stock. Rem takeoff barrels are normally $50-$75 max and used Rem plastic stocks never bring more than $50 on a good day.

http://www.bordenrifles.com/ is another link for $600 custom action

BH

I had the face of the receiver squared. Receiver lugs and bolt lugs squared and lapped for $100 canadian. This is on a gun I use for shooting coyotes and deer not a BR. I have doubts that Ken wants to build a BR out of a 338 anyway.

I have heard really good things about the 338-300RUM. It has a little capacity advatage over the 338 Lapua and even though Lapua brass is a lot better quality you can buy rem brass for cheaper and sort the hell out of it and get some quality stuff.

Shawn Carlocks 338 EDGE looks real good and GoodGrouper is developing a cartridge based on the 338rum that should be impressive.

Once I get my current Kirby Allen debts paid off I am planning on having him build me a 8lb rifle with a 30" barrel in the 338-300Rum throated to shoot the 300gr WildCat ULD. I figure this should be as good as any for a long range mountain gun /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Good Luck
Steve

Ken,

I have a 338RUM (HS Precision) and have been shooting a 338-378 for several years as well, it has been re-barrelled to a 338 Kahn.

Both the 338RUM and 338-378 are great high intensity rounds. The 338 Lapua is between the two in performance. Getting away from factory chamberings.....the 338EDGE / 338-300RUM will rival the Lapua, or maybe beat it in some instances.

Any of them will make a fine 1000 yard load. I agree with others who have answered your post; If you really want to be able to play at 1000 yards you should consider having a custom rifle built from the ground up. In order to shoot game at that range you need to have the equipment necessary to be certain of your shot. (Not trying to start any arguments here.......I know there are factory rifles that can do it too)

Kirby Allen (Fiftydriver) built my 338Kahn for me and is building a second. I would highly reccomend him. There are also other good smiths who hang out on this site....Shawn Carlock, and Chirs Matthews are two others. I reccomend you check with them to get a good start on your 1000 yard journey /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Kirby Allen (Fiftydriver) built my 338Kahn for me and is building a second. I would highly reccomend him. There are also other good smiths who hang out on this site....Shawn Carlock, and Chirs Matthews are two others. I reccomend you check with them to get a good start on your 1000 yard journey /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

So, how well does it shoot?!? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Be honest. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif I am seriously considering letting Kirby convert my CZ550 (currently a .416 Rigby) into the .338 Kahn. Also, if I'm used to shooting a .416 Rigby (prone, even), do I really need to have a muzzle brake for target shooting before I go elk hunting??? I'm leaning against one for better ear protection. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Mindcrime,

Be honest about how well your gun shoots......that's about like asking a woman her age /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

But I'll do my best! I get about the same results with 250grn SMKs, 300grn SMKs, and 250grn Lapua scenars. I am very consistantly getting 3/8" to 1/2" groups with the occasional 1/4" and the occasional 5/8" group mixed in (3 shot groups). I am very comfortable saying the rifle is a solid 1/2 moa rifle. It MAY or (may not) be better than that. I still have tweaking I want to do on loads, and am still waiting on my 300 and 350 grn ULDs from Wildcat bullets to try.

As far as down range goes, the longest distance I have shot paper is 700yds. On days with no wind I can consistantly shoot sub 4" groups at 700yds.

The rifle has a 27" Lilja barrel with a benchrest contour, the finished end is .950", a McMillan A5 stock, badger rail, night force scope and rings, holland QD brake.

I have not shot this rifle with the brake removed, but I suspect it would not kick too bad since it is so heavy (18+lbs). Before Kirby got his hands on the rifle when it was a 338-378 in factory configuration I shot it with no brake using 210 grn barnes X bullets........it was pretty brutal /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif. If you plan on using 300 or 350 grn bullets and the rifle is not going to be pretty heavy I would reccomend a brake, but that could be just me.......I would rather wear hearing protection than get scope eye /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks for all of the advice. I am just getting my feet wet, and don't want to bite off more than I can chew just yet. Personally, I would like to work up to 1000 and get comfortable, plus know I have the ability, before I make the investment in a 1000+ yard custom rifle. I am a firm believer in better equipment yielding better results.
I am sure with plenty of practice though making those long shots will become easier.

It sure is nice to see a group of computer savvy guys helping each other get better.

Ken

So a Rem action is not safe for a 338 Lapua? Well I feel sorry for people who own 338 Ultra's, 375 Ultra's and 416's. I would like someone to explain to me how a BAT SS or Nesika SS action is stronger then a moly 700 REM? As for the comment about paying a smith to square the action up. If you are paying more then 150 US dollars you are getting hosed. Chris Mathews gave me a quote to square the action cut and chamber the barrel and bead blast it for $350.

[ QUOTE ]
As far as down range goes, the longest distance I have shot paper is 700yds. On days with no wind I can consistantly shoot sub 4" groups at 700yds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds pretty good for a LR elk rifle. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.