What's your best kill with the 6.5 Grendel?

Do you mind giving us the specs on you rifle?

I assume it's a gas gun?

What is your max range you will take a shot?

Ammo specs?

Yes, it is an AR, Rock River lower with 18" Shilen barrel. I'm shooting a 123 gr Hornady SST with 26.5 gr of Benchmark. I've been getting quarter MOA groups with that load. I probably won't take any shots longer than 300 yards. And that won't be the only gun I bring along. I'm working on a 28 Nosler at the moment, but I'm not sure it will be dialed in then. If not, I have a Win. M70 30-06 that I've used on antelope before.

Stirling,
What kind of speed are you getting. I have some Benchmark on the shelf right now.

As I said both of my rifles are MOA out to 400yds, but if I could tighten up the groups a little...that would be nice.

My 20" has the 5R rifling and my most accurate load with H335 has an average speed of 2525fps

Stirling,
What kind of speed are you getting. I have some Benchmark on the shelf right now.

As I said both of my rifles are MOA out to 400yds, but if I could tighten up the groups a little...that would be nice.

My 20" has the 5R rifling and my most accurate load with H335 has an average speed of 2525fps

I haven't clocked that load yet, but I will try to do that on the next trip to the range. Honestly, once I got the load to group like that, I stopped asking questions.

Stirling,
Just a bit of an FYI...because the AR platform fails at lower pressures. You can over pressure the platform with no real pressure signs on the brass.

So knowing your velocity gIves you a rough guess if your over pressure. I ve recent read that 2900fps developes way too much pressure (that velocity was required by the Navy Seals to use the caliber)...most safe loads run up to 2600fps...these numbers are just a rough outline, but it is good to know where your at velocity wise.

Stirling,
Just a bit of an FYI...because the AR platform fails at lower pressures. You can over pressure the platform with no real pressure signs on the brass.

So knowing your velocity gIves you a rough guess if your over pressure. I ve recent read that 2900fps developes way too much pressure (that velocity was required by the Navy Seals to use the caliber)...most safe loads run up to 2600fps...these numbers are just a rough outline, but it is good to know where your at velocity wise.

Thanks for the cautionary info, CaptnC. I'm hoping to go range this weekend. I will definitely check the fps. According to the Hodgdon website, the max for that bullet is 27.5 grains so I should be well below the max. I don't pretend to be an expert on reloading so I appreciate the advice.

I'm new at reloading for a gas gun myself...many, many years at the press with bolt guns.

It's a little different thought process that's for sure.

IMO-On the AR-15 platform seating depth is a non-issue because of mag length...so I just get it close to the lands, but stay inside the mag. Then stay with bullets that are not normally sensitive to seating depth.

The Grendel is the best thing to come along in the 15 length platform. I wish I had jumped on the band wagon a long time ago.

Stirling,

So I spent a few hours at the range this morning and put a few through the Grendal. Speeds averaged 2,485.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.