Whats the best hunt you have been on in your life ?

The best hunt for me I wasn't even hunting! The first Arizona muzzleloader elk hunt for my dad . After re- connecting after 25 years . The year before we had tried Colorado for elk with no luck . So I put my dad in for my home state and he got a 6a bull tag on his first try. The first day in the blind was 15 cow elk. It went that way for 3 days. I noticed day 3 he was ****ing every few minutes . I had been there myself and knew what was going on. He had a prostate infection and was peeing blood . We had a cow and a calf come in at about 40 yds and he unzipped the blind to pee again . To my surprise the cow looked right at us and still came in to water. He finally said it was the last day he could sit due to the infection and then took a short knap. I was glad because he couldn't stop moving in the blind and I swore nothing was going to come in with all the noise. I looked up a few minutes into his knap and saw antler tips . Dad shot a nice 7x9 bull that year . As I called Ron the processor in Payson to make sure he could take the bull. We dropped it off and then we were off to the emergency room . Yep prostate infection. Dad wasn't going home with out a shot at a elk even if it killed him .
My dad and his buddy Aaron on there muzzleloader hunt in 6a last year . I played guide and helper. Aaron got a nice cow

Attachments

• 20231121_190159.jpg
    20231121_190159.jpg
    372.3 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Many great hunts with my boys. This one stands out because my son killed his first bull and a buck of a lifetime within a couple hours of each other. I later shot a a small 5pt and a 29 1/2" muley. This was in second season in western Colorado. Although no big bulls were killed, I did see three in the 325 -375 class after I tagged out. I put stalks on two different large bears but the cover was too thick by the time I got within range. Everyone in camp shot nice mule deer and a bull.

Attachments

• IMG_4958.jpeg
    IMG_4958.jpeg
    475.7 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_7609.jpeg
    IMG_7609.jpeg
    561 KB · Views: 60
  • FullSizeRender.jpeg
    FullSizeRender.jpeg
    756.7 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_5365.jpeg
    IMG_5365.jpeg
    633 KB · Views: 63
My greatest deer hunt was with my dad .He put me in the treestand and he circled me to run deer to me .I heard a ton of racket and heard two bucks fighting .I saw the first buck come nice 8 pointer and shot him with my 742 3006 and it jammed .I racked another shell in and a second huge 8 pointer started to fight the first one .I shot him and they kept fighting .I was using 165 grain bt sp at about 20 yards they blew up .I shot the first one and second one again and they still fought .The gun jammed every time .I had to finally shoot them in the necks to kill them .They were running on adrenaline. MY dad was so proud it was awesome .That was the last time I hunted with that rifle it wouldn't stop jamming. I WON two Browning BAR 300 win mag rifles in a deer contest with them.I gave my dad one and he hunted with it for years .I miss hunting with my dad he's battling cancer now and I am helping him .

When I took my kids hunting they were some of the funniest hunts to be on you have go into it knowing that they may spook them or have to leave early because they are cold but you make it fun and they get the bug and learn to love it. I got to hunt with my son last year for the first time in 7 years because of the military commitment he got home in the middle of hunting season.He didn't get one but this year he will

Another memorable hunt was more of a weird and a bit scary situation. I was hunting whitetail on a usual property chasing a particular heavy bodied12 point. Towards the end of my morning sit I got out of my stand and started walking back to the truck. I got to the top of this hill which is a vantage point to a tall grass field. I see this rack walking through so I kneel down and grab my bino's to check him out. Turned out to be a nice little 8 point and just wanted to watch him. After a few moments he must of caught my wind and he stopped at 117 yards and gave a snort and wheeze. I stood up figuring he would take off but he started stomping his feet, thrashing the grass. He squared up and put his head down and took off on a dead run towards me. I began to yell and he hung up at roughly 60 yards. The hair on his back was standing, and he began stomping and snorting again. I dropped my bino's, grabbed the gun and waited to see what would happen. Well sure enough he dropped his head and came full tilt at me again. I yelled as loud as I could and eventually had to shoot him at 10-11'. Not the buck I wanted to fill the tag with but I've never had a rush like that while hunting deer!

68978355200__6DCBA01C-F01C-4F9F-99CC-3A84588F4FE6.jpeg
IMG_6992.jpeg

I would have to say just this past season.
I have had many great hunts over the years but last year:
Was the first and only day my wife hunted with me. I killed a 31" muley at first light, which she spotted.
In the p.m. I killed a bull elk with an 18" drop tine, which she also spotted. Same day.
It was a good day.
That is as good as it gets. Right there !!!

Africa with my dad before I went into the USMC. Not the hardest hunt, but was a great week. 60" kudu to boot. However the kudu wasn't my highlight, I put a soso shot on a wildebeest and the tracker tracked him 4 miles no blood by his tracks over game trails.... and I put him down. The single most impressive outdoorsman thing I've witnessed.

1998 mule deer season. Both of my kids first season with a license and a gun. Opening morning my daughter went with my dad, I set my son watching a trail on his side of a canyon. I sat watching a trail about 60 yards away through open Juniper and Pine. Pretty soon I heard his 30-30. I probably didn't wait a minute before I walked over there. As I approached quietly, he was looking toward the trail below, when he bent over and gave that Winchester a kiss. We've hunted every season season since then, and in just a few more years, I'm planning to go on my granddaughter's first hunt.

Africa with my dad before I went into the USMC. Not the hardest hunt, but was a great week. 60" kudu to boot. However the kudu wasn't my highlight, I put a soso shot on a wildebeest and the tracker tracked him 4 miles no blood by his tracks over game trails.... and I put him down. The single most impressive outdoorsman thing I've witnessed.
That's something most people ( not hunters) will never appreciate much less get to witness!!

That's easy.
I wasn't sure at first if my daughter was going be a hunter. I was ok if that's what she decided, hunting animal's isn't for everyone. After a family camping/hunting trip this year I think she felt left out. It was almost two weeks into the Montana general season when she decided she was going to do it.

Step 1 Online hunter's safety crash course to get her certified.

Step 2 Getting her behind a rifle bigger then a 22 or my AR 15. No worries there the girl has always been a natural and very deadly shot.

Step 3 Finding her a buck, any buck.

First 2 days were spent chasing a little 4 point mule deer on block management land. He was dumb with love but his does were not and kept us at about 600 to 800 yards.

Day 3 I took her to some state land where her brother killed a little whitetail the week before. Does we're abundant and the rut was on. First thing in the morning we saw two beautiful whitetail bucks, a massive 8 point (eastern count) and a nice 10 point. Only problem is they were on the wrong side of the fence. The 10 point eventually ran up through the thick vegetation of the state land. By the time I saw him and got her to see him he was safe again on the wrong side of the fence. We spent the rest of the morning sitting and waiting in the wind and the cold, looking at deer we couldn't shoot. I decide I better get her warmed up. We went up over the crest of the hill where the wind was less, got her warmed up a little and some food in her. She decided she wasn't ready to give up yet. We went back and toughed it out for another couple of hours. Just when she was ready to give up I saw a doe come busting out of the thick stuff. She holed up in a patch of brush right on the edge of the fence. A few minutes later I saw another deer moving out of the bottom thick stuff. I manage to identify him as a little buck. We got my daughter laying down resting over my pack. She managed to find him in the scope. He wouldn't hold still until he got to the doe. I ranged him at 409 yards and told her where to hold on the old Nikon BDC reticle. At the shot I heard the bullet strike meat. I watched him stagger about 30 yards and pile up.
She went through every emotion possible in the next few minutes. After I got her calmed down and assured her she had made a clean kill and that her deer had not suffered needlessly she was ready to go see her first deer.

We went from not having hunter's safety or shooting a deer rifle to a 409 yard kill shot in one week. There's no way I could be more proud.

Stats
Mom's left handed X Bolt micro hunter in 7mm-08. Mom's shooting shoulder has been replaced twice so a muzzle brake has been installed.
Scope is an old Nikon Monarch 5-20x44 with BDC reticle.
Star line brass
Win LRP
Varget
140gr Nosler Ballistic tip
Muzzle vel. 2737fps

Shot went through the back of the right shoulder and exited just in front of the left shoulder.
IMG_6293.jpeg
IMG_6294.jpeg
Edited to add pictures.

Last edited:

Recent Posts