What rifle scope would you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If your gonna spend that kind of money go to a night force. It will no doubt kick the crap out of a swarvoski. I dont know about the schmit but my dad put a night force on his 338-378 and it shot twice as good as it did before, no joke. It cut the group size in half. He had a leupold and also tried a burris but then he threw the night force on it and it no joke shoots twice as good now. The only thing bad about the nxs is that they are heavier. But this is what I would invest in for that 338-378.

Use guy's hurt my feeling's I thought weatherby is a good gun or one of the best till I got on this web sight I thought there was nothing better than a swarvoski scope but I would rather save my money because of good advice thank you doe's any other gun company make a 388-378 weatherby cal rifle? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Grizz, that´s surprising. I´ve had a swaro 3-12 x 50 on a 7 rm for more than three years, used it in very hot days, rain, snow, fog...., it´s travelled by car, plane, horse..... and still works fine.

What happened to those scopes you talk about?

I´ve ordered a SB PM II for a 300 rum; have never used ths nigthforce´s and they really look good, but for me they lack two things: milliradian and not MOA turrets ( I think they can do this as an extra now) and first focal plane reticle instead of second focal plane.

Just my opinion.

ALG You are one of the lucky ones. As far as the Swaro's, you would have to ask S1. The Schmidts don't live on muzzle loaders, been there tried that. If you believe these scopes are so tough, why don't they dominate 50 bmg competitions where durability is a major issue?

The NXS has the finest Mil reticle on the market, it is called the MLR, and it does come with 1/10th mill knobs.

As far as first focal plane goes, why? If you have to turn the power down, whatever you are looking at is so close you don't need to range it to kill it. FFP is a bunch of Marketing hype. Never heard one experienced operator with 20 or more years in say, "Gee, its a good thing my optics were FFP.......or I'd have been FUBAR."

Never heard an experienced operator say, "in this situation, you need a FFP scope so you can perform X technique, picking up speed, accuracy, or both."

Guys can talk all they want about focal planes, but it makes no difference in the real world when it is time to kill, and you can bank that.

I have owned and used both S&B PMII and Nightforce NXS scopes. The S&B is a better optic in my opinion. For target use the S&B lacked two things, magnification and a fine reticle (current subtension is cca. 7mm with mildot or P4 reticle) but Klein reticles - subtension cca 4mm are available on some models and hopefully more in the future. Also the 5-25x56 PMII takes care of lack of magnification issues.

USMC choose S&B, Canadian army choose ....you guest it S&B (in fairness they first choose USO and then changed their minds to S&B)and use it on their 50 bmg`s also.

Accuracy International, who have sold the odd rifle to a few armies (around 50 or so) come as standard with S&B`s.

FFP reticle allows you to range on any magnification, you also get no POI (point of impact) change through the magnification range unlike 2ndFP scopes.

David.

The 3-18 IOR VALDADA with 36mm tube has been given a close look by the Canadian Armed Forces lately

Thor

Scope selection should be based upon intended use. What kind of hunting do you plan to do with the gun. Open plains versus heavy timber. Last light and first light vs middle of the day.

Lots of people don't like Wby's but Wby has its fan club and rightfully so.

DS is right about the fact that the S&B don't dominate the 50 cal comps, or many other for that matter, the PMII's have been made as sniper scopes, that doesn't nesseceraly mean they are 100% employable as a target rifle scope. He is right that the reason for this has been, not high enough magnification and not thin enough reticles, and not enough reticle choice, all that is changing, slowly but its changing. in the standard mildot in the PMII's, the cross in the middle covers 7.5mm @100m. the klein (gen 2 mildot but thinner, which is the ret i had in the 4-16x50 when i visited Alg, remember looking through it Alg?) covers 3.2mm @100m.
anyway, ive seen a bunch of broken NXS's the only problem i heared of in a PMII has been that it didn't elevate to the amount that the dial said, i suspected that it was a mils turret on a moa scope or vis-versa.
Ive seen a bunch of swarovskis go tits up when put on moderated rifles.
pay your money and take your choice.
my money, and that or the US, Canadian, British and a fair few others is on the S&B.
Pete

I took an older 30mm Swarovski off of my rifle and replaced it with a NFX with the MLR reticle. FWIW, the clarity, resolution, anti-reflective coating, light transmission, etc. on the Swarovski was better than the NFX. However, the Swaro lacked a suitable reticle and turrets.

You can't go wrong with the NFX, but there are other scopes that are as good (or better) in the S&B line up. US Optics is another option worth considering.

Thor,

One thought, the S&B PMII line have plenty of elevation to do what you want but the 4-16x50 PH (precision Hunter) probably will not. The PMII scopes have 34mm tubes (except the 10x BDMP-30mm I think) but the PH scopes have 30mm tubes and so have less elevation.

David.

For 200 to 600 yds and given that whitetails have a tendency to walk up behind you and get in real close, I would recommend you get no higher than 4X on the low end. A luepold VariX-III in 3.5X10X50 would be fine. A 4X14X50 would also be fine. You won't even need to spend the extra $ for LR. It will have enough clicks.

Status
Not open for further replies.