What is Ackley improved

Have two .257 ackley's, one done by P.O.himself, the other pre- 64 win.Both shoot 3/8's if the operator is on.Great caliber,my gun of choice. Larry

I seem to recall that the shoulder of the case is steepened to 40deg and the case wall taper is reduced to .0025"-.003" per inch of length per side. This from memory so may not be exactly correct. I would have looked it up but I think my book is at the bottom of the black hole (defined as that spot where things are kicked off the end of the couch when I take a nap). I just looked up the 250 Savage AI on AmmoGuidedot com and it is .004"? side. i.e. 012 total taper from base to shoulder, .006/side, 1.537" from base to shoulder, .004"taper/inch.
John

I guess should of put this in my first post. I also have 35 WhelenAI,243AI,222AI and another 280AI.

I have Ackley books and I also have Speer reloading manual for Wildcat Cartridges #4 1959 and has some of Ackley cases, which includes diagram of case and his loading data. It include his 25 and 270 Ackley Mag which is pretty close to the Wby. His 270 mag loading data for Speer 170gr SP bullet, his top vel was almost 2900fps from 24" 1/10 twist barrel.

I like in the Ackley book the info on Jack O'Conners favorite loads.I like to go back and compare my loads to his on my chronograph.

I've had and lost 2 sets of Ackley books (just found my set on the bookshelf behind me). It is uncommon to get your information and entertainment in the same place. I've had quite a few wildcats but never an AI. My favorite barrelmakers/gunsmiths were both honor students of his at the Colo. School. Bellm and Chanlyn.

I've had and lost 2 sets of Ackley books (just found my set on the bookshelf behind me). It is uncommon to get your information and entertainment in the same place. I've had quite a few wildcats but never an AI. My favorite barrelmakers/gunsmiths were both honor students of his at the Colo. School. Bellm and Chanlyn.

Wasn't Bellm his son-in-law? Mark Chanlynn is still here in Co and learned how to make barrels from Obermeyer. I had couple rifles with his barrel and my 284 was a Mark Chanlynn build rifle chamber for the 7x57. Mark was up in Boulder for long time then moved to Erie also with Sullivan.

When Ackley was in Trinidad teaching he build lot of rifles for the locals.

I think Bellm posted something on his site about the equal pressure vs what Ackley did since he also worked for him.

Bellm is back in Colo. too. He and his son. He has an FFL now, finally,but still just does the break open guns I think. Chanlyn helped design the Bighorn action but doesn't seem to be involved in the manufacture of it.
From here it looks like everyone that makes cutrifled barrels learned from Obermeyer or now from someone that learned from him as a lot of time has passed since it began.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.