What is a "flinch" worth in MOA ?

I developed a flinch after a shot at an awkward angle resulted in a scar on the forehead by my left eye. It was worth at least 1.5moa if not more. Took a good while to retrain myself.
There's a huge difference between a flinch and a duck! Just saying...LOL
I developed a flinch after a shot at an awkward angle resulted in a scar on the forehead by my left eye. It was worth at least 1.5moa if not more. Took a good while to retrain myself.

Just don't conflate between a flinch, and poor recoil management.

A flinch takes place before the shot takes place. That is an anticipation error in technique and is correctable.

Recoil management occurs obviously after the shot. Having a consistency in recoil is testimonial to consistency in technique but depending on the cartridge and rifle set up, following the shot can be difficult, but not impossible. The more you do it, the easier it gets imo.

Flinching from pain afterwords has no bearing on the shot if anticipation did not occur. Though, its rifles these days are not like shooting a mosin nagant with a steel stock. As little sacking up might be necessary.

I've seen a lot of shooters shoot. Learners to experienced. There are experienced shooters that I see close their eyes at the last millisecond and yank the trigger a bit. They have achieved the proverbial "minute of deer" but could they they do better, absolutely.

I learned to avoid a flinch long ago by concentrating on seeing the muzzle blast. IMHO, a flinch is also accompanied with closing the eyes. But that's just my observation.

These days I have a horrid tremor. Sometimes, I feel like if my tremor is bad, somedays, I just sort of guess at when I am on target and yank the trigger. Different kind of flinch, same effect on bad day......

There's been some good threads and discussions about the price some shooters potentially pay for using a bigger cartridge,
the price is flinch and loss of accuracy.

Now I know you can't really quantify this, but how much MOA increase, say at 100 yds, do you suppose a flinch would cost you ?

Obviously at longer yardage the flinch error is more.

Also the bigger the cartridge powder grains, more potential flinch.

Any guesses / ideas ? One man's flinch is not another man's flinch !

I've seen people flinch so badly that they couldn't hit a banana box @ 100 yards…….from a rest!

I knew of a guy that knew that he flinched badly……but thought that it was a consistent flinch. He had my gunsmith sight in his rifle …….adjusting for his flinch!😂😂😂😂😂 Ya just can't make this 💩 up! 😁 memtb