What factory rifle?

Same here. But seems like the poster would rather buy off the shelf.

straightjacketarmory.com has some really cool options WELL under that. Pretty fun filter to play with on the website. If I remember right you can get a barreled action (rem 700, trued, etc) proof barrel, about any chambering you could think of, pick a trigger, pick literally everything but the stock and it's about $1500-1700. Put a stock on it and you're still under 2500 and with a pretty much custom rifle. I haven't done one through them yet but I think I'll have to give them a try. Either way it's fun to play around on there
10-4! Buska. He seems to want to buy off the shelf, but also he seems to want it to meet all his conditions. Could be wrong? Trued 700 action, great barrel matched to his caliber; trigger and stock to come later. Stays inside his price range and seems like a better way to go for an experienced hunter wanting to shoot at longer ranges. Just my thoughts.

I'm looking for a factory rifle that I can use for anything and everything, and that has the ability to reach out there at longer distances. I'm currently shooting a Remington Sendero in .300 rum, and I've killed a lot of animals with it, but I've never been able to feel completely confident in it. I've been looking at the browning hells canyon LR and the Christensen Arms Ridgeline. The ridgeline has all the features I'm looking for, but I've heard that it's not uncommon for them to have accuracy issues due to issues with the barrels. I'm also trying to decide between a .300 win and a 28 nosler. What are your guys thoughts?

I suggest a Wby .340 Mag. It's my go to hunting rifle, and over the past two decades or more I've made one-shot kills on moose, elk, mule deer, bear, coyotes, antelope, and other various species many times - all DRT! Mine is a Wby Mark V (beautiful wood stock), and I shoot only Nosler Partition 210 grain. Performance is exceptional at short and long ranges, and would likely suit your Utah and Rocky Mountain hunting very well indeed. IMO.

I'm looking for a factory rifle that I can use for anything and everything, and that has the ability to reach out there at longer distances. I'm currently shooting a Remington Sendero in .300 rum, and I've killed a lot of animals with it, but I've never been able to feel completely confident in it. I've been looking at the browning hells canyon LR and the Christensen Arms Ridgeline. The ridgeline has all the features I'm looking for, but I've heard that it's not uncommon for them to have accuracy issues due to issues with the barrels. I'm also trying to decide between a .300 win and a 28 nosler. What are your guys thoughts?

Im sorry but there is no such thing as a do everything rifle. A 300 RUM is way over the top for small game and not the best for dangerous game. You should actually consider 3 rifles. Something like 6 or 6.5 for smaller game, 300 win or RUM or lazzaroni type for long range and say a .375 H&H for dangerous game, that or a 12 gauge... cant stop a charging bear with a 300 anything absolutely.

There is a Borden/mcmillan custom 300 win mag in the classifieds here for a. It over your price... I would be looking hard at that.

Good action, benchmark 28 nosler barrel, good trigger. Shoot 195 bergers. Voila! Your rem would be a good start!

Find a good used Winchester model 70 Long Action Have it rebarreled in 30/06. You can always find factory ammo. If you reload there is more than enough info available. Have it stocked by a good 'smith. It's a good feeling

To get a great factory rifle, you don't have to spend $2000. I bought a Savage off the shelf at Cabelas in 6.5 CM to shoot smaller game in Africa. My son killed a really big Kudo (didn't mean for him to take this gun on his stalk) at 270 yards,120 Gr bullet. Later in the hunt, I shot a Baboon at 418 yards. Swift kills on both. I think all in with Mueller scope 8-32 power, I'm out $650. I was going to sell it when we returned but my son would not approve. I also have a Tikka T3 in 7mm-08 that has dropped everything I've shot with it. I have good custom built guns that shoot lights out but the technology is really superb in factory rifles for a lot less money. Just my 2cents.

There's nothing wrong with a 30-06 except the fact it gives you no defensible excuses for anything else.

Have you ever heard of or considered ER Shaw in PA? You can build a custom through them (Mark 7 or 10) with choice of barrels, actions and stocks etc for under 2000.00

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts