What does a slightly higher scope height do?

Bigeclipse

Typically I run low rings but on my new rifle the scope was hitting the scope rail before I got proper eye relief. With mediums i am able to get proper eye relief but the scope (50mm bell with 30mm tube) sits a decent amount above the barrel. What exactly does that do? The bottom of the 50mm bell is about 3/8ths inch from the barrel.

It's best to have the scope as close to the axis of the bore as you can as a general rule but some things, like what you have mentioned preclude this. Some of mine are 1" above, some are 2" above. It can obviously affect the quality of your cheek weld. In some cases, it works out well. Personally, with my light walking varmiters (22 Hornet, .204) I like a higher scope mount because I like to be able to get my thumb between the scope tube and the receiver, so I can carry the rifle gripping it by the receiver as I stalk the fields. My longer range rifles almost always have picatinny rails and bigger scopes, necessitating a higher mount. No worries, I just plug the scope height into my ballistic program and all is well.

I focus on fit rather than how high the scope is off the barrel. I want to throw the gun up to my shoulder and have a perfect view through the scope. this typically means I prefer my scopes slightly higher than a lot of people set theirs too. its ok. for instance I prefer my AR15 scopes about .25 higher than most the standard mounts set them to. its better to be closer to the bore if you have a choice. but not if it damages fit.

Moves the scope further away from center bore but not a big deal by the sound of your issue. If you find yourself needing to lift your head to get proper FOV you will need to add some type of cheek rest. A $30 ammo pouch cheek rest usually will solve that issue. 3/8" is no big deal. If you're using a ballistic app it will allow you to make the change within the settings which will give you updated POI. In the ballistic app there's a setting for the measurement of "center bore to center scope". Good luck!

When I started, I read and tried to follow all the of the more experienced folks. In the quest for the lowest scope height, I have ended up with one rifle with a bottom part of the scope cover removed so it will go over the scope. That puts the height about 1/16 inch above the barrel. Now I get the best cheek weld, view through the scope, eye relief, etc., and THEN mount the scope. Result: better sight picture, comfort (no distorting my neck) and improved my accuracy.

The height does affect the geometry between the line of sight and the bullet path, however properly input into your ballistic program and you will not have a problem. Before everyone started using dialable turrets it was a common practice to low mount your scope, set a 200 yard zero to effectively set an extended point-blank range so all you did was point and shoot. So, select rings that give you clearance, a good cheek weld, enter the data into your ballistic program, keep the gun level, and make your shot.

"High" mounts were a problem before anyone had laser rangefinders and ballistic solvers. No issue today. Pick what fits, level scope to the rifle & drive on.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.