What are the last 3 rifles you sold and why?

funny enough from the post above I sold off 2 custom 700 actions and a custom bolt gun to finish converting all my bolt guns to 2 tikkas, one for hunting and one for comps

I continue to whittle my collection down to less guns that I shoot more often. For me, I'd rather have 5 that are set up perfectly and are used constantly than 50 with mediocre scopes or less time using. Perhaps if I had more time and money I could spend enough of those things to have more guns set up how I want but that's not my life right now.

Complete rifles... Hmm. I mostly build stuff at home and do a lot of part swapping and selling.

Savage 223 tiger shark- cool looking rifle, GREAT shooter, too heavy and long.

CZ 22 mag, can't use it with my suppressor and didn't shoot how I wanted it to anyway.

Maybe a built AR? Can't really remember, they all blur together 🤣

I don't treat guns like they are family members. You don't owe your gun anything, and it doesn't have feelings. There is nothing magical about them.

My time and money are limited, so buy, sell, trade is my motto 🤣

Edit to add: I do have some heirlooms and gifted guns that DO have sentimental value that I would NEVER sell, but it's far from every gun I've ever owned.

Last edited:
I have seen two guys I knew pass away recently and leave their wives with literally hundreds of guns. One of these guys was a Winchester collector and pretty well known locally, his poor wife was hounded incessantly. The other was more thoughtful and left clear instructions for his eclectic collection of over 300 guns, they were sold at the local firearms auction. Unfortunately the second gentleman left no instructions for the thousands of rounds of ammo he had acquired. I just sold off the last of 13K rounds of .22lr and .22 WMR this past weekend. These experiences along with a recent medical diagnosis have made me rethink things. With the exception of a couple of family keepsakes, guns are just stuff. I have started getting tables at the local gunshows and selling off most of my collection. I like the Thompson Center guns and will keep them a while longer but pretty well everything else is or soon will be gone. Life is short my friends, don't leave a burden on your loved ones. Convert those unused safe queens into fun tickets and enjoy life while you can!
You really said a mouthful here. I don't get the badge of honor of never selling a gun.
The, "my sons, daughters and grandkids will get them because they love them too" is more crap. They are going to sell them just like you should have and made it easier on them. If they cherish them so much, hand them over 5 yrs ago and be around to watch them enjoy them.
I'm happy as a pig in slop that I no longer own Colt 1911's, Berretta 92, Win 70's and Rem shotguns and 700's, or Kimber pistols.
My buying habits of the 80's and 90's needed to die, along with guns picked up in that time frame.

I was #19 in the Selective service lottery draft to be called up 1971. I figured that I wasn't coming back from that mess, and I didn't want to burden my parents with my beagles so I started selling stuff. My three rabbit hounds went first. A guy came all the way from Arkansas to watch them work, He only wanted two of them, and I hated to separate them. I made him a deal and he took all three for $7000. They were the best rabbit dogs I have ever worked with. Shortly after that I sold my A.H.Fox 12ga side by side and an Ithaca model 37 in 20ga. Long story short they abolished the lottery and I wasn't called up and was left with an empty dog kennel. I was starting college so I didn't replace the dogs. I picked up a Sterlingsworth Fox that fit me perfectly at a price that I liked as well as an Ithaca featherweight that was in good shape, both of which I still own and shoot. After college I contacted the Arkansas guy that bought my dogs to see if he had any pups. He did. I bought one female, drove to WHeeling WV (halfway) and picked up the beagle. She never hunted but was a great lap dog and good friend for 15 years. With the money left from the sale of my things I purchased a Ford F100 short bed 6cyl manual transmission pickup which I drove for 18 years.

I know it's depressing to have several guns in safes that don't get used and I've had rifles that I didn't shoot for 10- 20 years. A few years ago I started getting some of these seldom used guns out of the safes and just working up new loads and just fun tinkering around with new bullets and a different powder. I also started changing up my hunting rifles, I would usually just use the same 2 or 3 rifles for big game. I started rotating to some of the rifles I shot game with 30- 40 years ago. Thinking about using all lever actions for hunting this fall for nostalgic reasons.

Let's see
Cva wolf muzzleloader because I've got a paramount pro and two encores a knight and a traditions.
I traded a 30-06 encore rifle barrel for a 300wm with a friend that can't shoot heavy recoil for awhile.
Mossberg 500 shotgun because I've got 9 different shotguns and after cleaning I found it's way easier to clean a 870.

i don't think I've sold any rifles yet, but I have a pair that I WOULD sell. Two Win M70s inparticular that I don't have any sentimental value too hold on to. One is a Short Mag length CRF action I snagged because someone had put a carbon fiber 6.5 SAUM barrel on it. It's like 26" so it's way to long for me and the PRIME 6.5 SAUM ammo I got for it is WAY to hot. Never bothered to work up a load or anything and it's just been sitting on the shelf.
And I got a pretty cheap push feed long action and built an 8 twist .308 long throated for 230-250 bullets subsonic if necessary...nothing special and I haven't really messed with it much.

I have 6 other Zermatt TL3s I built into various specialty rifles, two long action CRF sentimental M70s that were full blown custom rebuilds and a new ARC M7 Mausingfield and a new Coup De Grace I'm building into a 300 Norma...so I'm happy with what I have for custom builds.
The two Winnys don't get shot and don't really excite me to build from anymore with the ease of custom actions and prefit barrels

My last three I sold/traded are
1. The fix by Q
2. CA 7 PRC FFT
3. Custom 338 Norma Mag built off mark V 9 lug.

Sold these rifles because I am left handed and in the process of swapping all my rifles to left handed. I view rifles as tools, these come and go. Wish that I would have started with left hand actions to begin with. Didn't know what I was missing until I decided to pick up a TL3 short action.

Sold two cheap Turkish shotguns and in the process of selling my husqvarna 8mm Mauser.

To fund a new (to me) gun purchase of course.

Getting a Winchester m70 safari express that's been chambered to .450 Ackley. They do keep talking about bringing the wooly mammoth back from extinction….and when they do I wanna shoot one!.😁🤣

A SVT40 & a FN49 ( had less than $800 in the 2) both arsenal rebuilt & a VZ52 in 7.62×45 in 1994 & lost $ on all 3 in 96
Divorce lawyer.

Also had a 1895 in 45-70 marlin that marlin sold to me for $95 because we worked at gun store & they had idea we would sell more if we told customers we had 1 too. We signed contract that we would keep at least 1 yr. Had 15yrs. Sold because back injury, needed cash.

Last edited:

Recent Posts