Went to the local reloading shop today

I think you may be on to something, just amuses me that the very people who should be helping the shooters and there sport are boning it...can't quite figure this out but my barrels are all getting a break from heat and solvents...

I think it's a combination. We had the rush of 08 and 12 compressed end for end, then inflation is in the news everywhere combined with no real end in sight for the anti crowd. Manufacturers see a scalper pull it of once they ignore it, twice they take notice and 20 times they become the scalper.

you have to wonder if that was mismarked. that is even more than double midway and they are the worst.

So somebody has to explain to me HOW a very small LGS is STILL selling powder in $50 range that they are RECEIVING right NOW! They do NOT have buying power of larger stores so how the heck are they selling at more reasonable prices?

EASY, they CARE about their customer base.

Which IMO, FULLY explains pricing at other stores.

So somebody has to explain to me HOW a very small LGS is STILL selling powder in $50 range that they are RECEIVING right NOW! They do NOT have buying power of larger stores so how the heck are they selling at more reasonable prices?

EASY, they CARE about their customer base.

Which IMO, FULLY explains pricing at other stores.
Customer service more is important in a smaller customer base. The larger the retailer, the larger the customer base. A shop in town was bought out by a company out of the Bay area in California. The new owner was not concerned with past customer base. He told the local manager that there are a million customers. Lose one and another replaces him. we are a town of 30,000 people. They went out of business in six months. Your LGS knows their customer base. Support them.

From what I've been told by more than one person in the biz is that most of the problem lies with the wholesalers. My "local" Scheels guy told me he could get just about whatever but I wouldn't like the price when it got there. They won't buy it unless it's right. While their primers are pricey still, the Hogdon powders they have on hand are fairly priced, most in the mid to high$30 range/#.

I've posted this before but, my LGS told me flat out that all of his powder and primers get sold at auction on the net. He claimed to have received a palate of primers recently and is currently selling all of them on the internet for whatever the market would bare. None were being sold in the store where it would alienate his customers to ask those prices.

Last edited: