Water filter

Everyone has pretty much covered it, this is just my additional 2 cents. I've frequently back country hiked and/or hunted, so weight is usually at a premium. This summer my brother and I used one of the platypus gravity filters in Colorado between 8-12 thousand feet for almost 40 miles. Absolutely loved it! Gravity feeding will rock your world after using a hand pump system for greater then one person. The only issue I had was it requires a deeper source of water to get water from then a hose. Not a real big problem, but there isn't a whole lot of water at 10,000+, much less in pools or deep streams. I'd also recommend the carbon filter, it helps immensely with the flavor.

Like many, Katadyn Pro Hiker. I have many others but, this is my go to, in the High Country.

I'd have to guess that those that like the pumps aren't filtering much water. Once you go with gravity, you'll never go back. The Sawyer squeeze is great for walking along and getting a drink from the stream. I use it when I'm out fishing. I've used First Needs Purifiers & MSR Miniworks (kills even small viruses, but expensive), in a gravity system, but they are much slower. It gives you the option of pumping or gravity. I've also used the Steripen (only works with clear water, but it kills viruses). The coffee filter is great if the water is muddy or filled with pollen. The Sawyer and Steripen combination will kill everything. The best part of the Sawyer is that you can back flush it to clean it. Quick and easy. I use a Platypus 6 Liter container at the bottom. Just don't ever open the zipper. They don't go back together well unless it is really warm.

First thing I do when I hit base camp is, fill up an empty 1 gallon water jug and 2-empty gatorade bottles, that I packed in. I'm not sure if that's considered much water or not but, I have been doing it this way for many years. From this point, I just pump water as needed, when I return to base camp.

I'm a fan of the Sawyer mini...I got a bladder that doubles as a solar shower which had a QD connection on 1/4" tubing. I've rigged that thing up as a gravity filter system in line with the Mini and it will filter 3L in about 10 minutes. I fill the bladder, hoist in a tree, and hook up the Sawyer mini to a platypus and go about my business. I always have a fresh supply of water in camp. Costs like $30 for everything. No moving parts.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.