Watching you LR hunters

nomadhunter

So, I pay close attention to various LR hunting shows on my favorite Outdoor channel and Sportsman channel; along with this site and I am learning some things. It's a pleasure watching and reading about the success in the field.
So, I am new to LR; I read a current post about anti - canting devices and the treads that follow the post and it all makes sense.
With that stated, I watched more than a few well experienced Ultra LR hunters using field type rifle rests (pods or rest of some sort) for shots as close to 200 yards-really? honestly, how humble, truly.
I, up to this point in my hunting years, have been a short range kind of hunter (up to 200) and fill my tags. Now, from the woods to the open high desert I go, hence my interest in extending my range, say, 500 yards - max for starts.
My experience eye balling deer, in the high desert, at LR, is that they're reasonably unaware or concerned about my presence until I get to about 300 yards, then they boogie.
So, I suppose a pod/shooting rest is in order up to and beyond 300 yards, but what is the best one for portage and ease of set - up; that is durable and light weight, since I am an off road, spot and stalk kind of hunter.
Any suggestions is appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

My favorite long range rest is simply my pack. I shoot very well using it & last fall I killed my best typical mulie of my life using it. 587 yard shot & killed him in his bed. He was a 4x5 that scored 180.
also killed a bunch of far away coyotes in that fashion. Bipods also work very well. I just like shooting from my pack.
Thanks, Kirk

My favorite long range rest is simply my pack. I shoot very well using it & last fall I killed my best typical mulie of my life using it. 587 yard shot & killed him in his bed. He was a 4x5 that scored 180.
also killed a bunch of far away coyotes in that fashion. Bipods also work very well. I just like shooting from my pack.
Thanks, Kirk

Most of the time this is not an option in the desert, you have to see your game to kill it. I have limited experience in the desert but what I ended up using was a caldwell telescoping bipod. Not the most stable rest in the world but shooting from a seated, kneeling, or standing position it best off hand.. thank fully my shot was rather close but even at about 80yds my pack was not an option.

I like the attached bipod b/c you can load it a little for a more stable shot vs a free standing bipod.

Many long range schools teach various techniques for rifle support. There are many ways to accomplish the objective of having a reasonably solid rest.

A backpack with internal frame can give you multiple heights. Flat, on its side, standing.
Shooting sticks, such as stoney point, work very well for sitting positions.
Bipod of course is excellent for many situations, not just prone. There is an excellent video that demonstrates bipod use for non-traditional positions. I think it is from gunwerks.
Trigger stick. This is a great tool in that it is very quickly adjusted and I use it for supporting my binoculars while glassing.
Bipod buddy. Great little rear support.

I carry all of this in the field and have used all of it extensively. The trigger stick has allowed me to take standing shots but also I use it for rear support. It is a monopod so if you can lean it against a rock or heavy sage it makes a big difference in how solid you can make the support.

I use whatever is handy,Ive set up in root wads,slash piles,etc.I run a Atlas on a rail.I have a small yoke I made for my sportsman tripod years ago.This is a pict of a kneeling shot off root with rear in tripod yoke.My son and I both taken bears in the spot to 700+. Hes shot game off my shoulder also.

Attachments

• 338 chute.jpg
    338 chute.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 77
So, I pay close attention to various LR hunting shows on my favorite Outdoor channel and Sportsman channel; along with this site and I am learning some things. It's a pleasure watching and reading about the success in the field.
So, I am new to LR; I read a current post about anti - canting devices and the treads that follow the post and it all makes sense.
With that stated, I watched more than a few well experienced Ultra LR hunters using field type rifle rests (pods or rest of some sort) for shots as close to 200 yards-really? honestly, how humble, truly.
I, up to this point in my hunting years, have been a short range kind of hunter (up to 200) and fill my tags. Now, from the woods to the open high desert I go, hence my interest in extending my range, say, 500 yards - max for starts.
My experience eye balling deer, in the high desert, at LR, is that they're reasonably unaware or concerned about my presence until I get to about 300 yards, then they boogie.
So, I suppose a pod/shooting rest is in order up to and beyond 300 yards, but what is the best one for portage and ease of set - up; that is durable and light weight, since I am an off road, spot and stalk kind of hunter.
Any suggestions is appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
What you use for a shooting rest is mostly dictated by the terrain and foliage.

There is nothing that will work well for every shot so pick what works best in a given situation for you be that your pack, a tree, bipod, tripod, boom crane or bridge and where possible spend a good bit of time attempting cold bore shots from uncomfortable and odd angles and positions so that when the time comes and you have to make such a shot you'll be prepared to do so.

If you have to wait for the perfect shot to present itself it's likely to prove to be very frustrating in the future.

I use my trekking poles as shooting sticks, which allows heights from about 15 inches to almost standing full upright. If I am sitting, I get a good solid position for 700ish yards by having the poles under the fore-end and my backpack standing on end under the toe of the stock. If I have something to lean sideways against with my body I can go a bit farther without difficulty. Rather than tote extra and or separate gear, I like finding ways to use what is already with me as much as possible. Minimalist attitude, I suppose, but it does seem to work.

There a literally a gazillion answers to the question of "the best rest in a given situation"...

Some prefer rifle mounted bipods, some shoot better with shooting sticks, others just use their pack.

Myself, I use shooting sticks for most shots. The ones I have are perfect for shooting while sitting which is usually tall enough to be above the ground clutter (grass, etc.)...Using just the sticks, I'm fine shooting to around 600 yards or so....give me a tree to lean on while I'm using the sticks and I can take it on out to 800 or so.

Shooting sticks are very easy to carry and extremely effective...I even use them shooting from a tree stand, with them on the seat....800 yards, accurately, from a tree (as long as the tree isn't swaying in the wind).

I also always carry a pack...a truly wonderful shooting platform in its own right...either prone on the ground when possible...or with it laid across a rock or log.

My shooting sticks... Short Bi Pod - Primos Hunting ...also very handy for steadying the Leica 1600B on distant targets.

I can find myself in a wide variety of shooting terrains, positions, stand types in the course of the hunting season. My standard system is my 10.5 pound rifle that has a pic rail to quickly accept my Harris bipod, back pack with a simple telescoping shooting stick, and rear bag. My basic psychology is:
-Shots to 150, maybe 200; off hand or a quick and easy rest if available.
-Shots from 200-500 yards, depending on the temperament of the game, I'll use my pack for a quick prone, sticks for a sitting, kneeling, or support in a stand.
-400+ yards; if time and terrain allows, my preference is always for a prone shot with bipod and rear bag. If I can't get a prone shot, I try to work out a solid rest using my sticks with the assistance of a sitting (or kneeling) position, or improvising additional support points for the rifle like natural rests or my pack. Once shots get beyond 600-700 yards, I will really try for a prone position. If this is not possible I will try to improvise but do place higher demands on a solid rest and explore getting closer, or try for a better shooting position if the shot doesn't feel good.
When hunting in the foothills of the Bighorns I find that I can frequently get good prone positions for the long shots so my bipod is always mounted and I stay well prepared with my rear bag easily accessible. On the other hand, hunting Alberta, I have rarely gotten a shot prone and find that my long shots are wide variety of improvised positions so I'm always observing and thinking about how to position for a long shot when anticipated. I personally think this gets easier with experience and adds to the excitement of the hunt.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.