VV N135 Temp Stable?

marc357

Does anyone have any data on temp stability of VV N135? I was thinking of trying it in the .308 Win. ( boring I know, but we still like to play with them)

Always got good results with Varget, and never saw a reason to try anything else, but someone has a 8lb jug of N135 and thought I might try it.

I had some SAKO factory .308 ammo (still have some left actually)- SAKO headstamped Lapua brass, 175 gr SMK and an unknown VV powder. Although it shoots great, it is WILDLY temp sensitive, we tested it and it's on the order of 2fps/ degree.

Hate to bite the bullet on 8lbs and find out it swings that much.

Does anyone have any data on temp stability of VV N135? I was thinking of trying it in the .308 Win. ( boring I know, but we still like to play with them)

Always got good results with Varget, and never saw a reason to try anything else, but someone has a 8lb jug of N135 and thought I might try it.

I had some SAKO factory .308 ammo (still have some left actually)- SAKO headstamped Lapua brass, 175 gr SMK and an unknown VV powder. Although it shoots great, it is WILDLY temp sensitive, we tested it and it's on the order of 2fps/ degree.

Hate to bite the bullet on 8lbs and find out it swings that much.
If you want to try it, get a 1-pounder instead; I often see them at Scheels. VV does not address temperature sensitivity on its website. I used to be an extreme powder family-only end-user, but honestly, I have stopped worrying about it for some time now. For instance, I have been using RL-17 for 10 years now without any issues.

I usually do load development in October for my fall hunt (which is 20 +/- 10 degrees colder on average). I still use the extreme powders (lately, H1000 and Retumbo), but I still load them in the same time frame.

Good luck!

Good idea, I'll run down to the Cody, WY Scheels and pic up a pound and try it 😁
1728875668907.png

You might also want to consider the N150.
1728875624028.png

Just kidding, I know you're trying to help, and I thank you for that!

Yes, I am a fellow user of mostly Hodgdon Extreme Powders for about 20 years and have been very pleased with them, I have burnt well over 100 lbs of H1000, Retumbo, H4350, and Varget.
We have conducted tepmerature tests like what Mr. Litz describes in the video (and writes about in his books and articles) and seen results similar what he describes. At this point we simply don't factor in velocity variation due to temperature because there basically is none with Hodgdon's Extreme line of powders.

Thanks for the additional info on n135 and n150, we actually like to shoot Lapua and Berger 155s from 20" .308 rifles, the faster n135 may just be the ticket. I'll probably just grab that 8lb er and give er a whirl.

But seriously- no, we ain't got no Scheel's here 🤣

Just kidding, I know you're trying to help, and I thank you for that!

Yes, I am a fellow user of mostly Hodgdon Extreme Powders for about 20 years and have been very pleased with them, I have burnt well over 100 lbs of H1000, Retumbo, H4350, and Varget.
We have conducted tepmerature tests like what Mr. Litz describes in the video (and writes about in his books and articles) and seen results similar what he describes. At this point we simply don't factor in velocity variation due to temperature because there basically is none with Hodgdon's Extreme line of powders.

Thanks for the additional info on n135 and n150, we actually like to shoot Lapua and Berger 155s from 20" .308 rifles, the faster n135 may just be the ticket. I'll probably just grab that 8lb er and give er a whirl.

But seriously- no, we ain't got no Scheel's here 🤣
That's the beauty of having plenty of choices; your decision, along with its consequences, is always yours to make.