Velvet antler treatment/care

shawnb

Hey all, im headed to the yukon this year for caribou and was wondering about preserving the antlers in velvet.

Ive heard about using formaldehyde but cant seem to source any. Ive found stuff called Antler in Velvet Tan and was thinking of going that route.

I dont/wont have access to freeze or freeze dry? the antlers so thats not really an option.

Whats your experience?

I'd recommend talking to a taxidermist before you go, preferably the one you intend to use.

I had this question for an early season hunt. I learned that formaldehyde is hard to get and only recommended to be used in the field by a pro. Instead, it was recommended to me to be extremely gentle with the antlers, touching them as little as possible, and get them to your taxidermist within 48 hours of the kill. Best if the taxidermist has a heads up and is ready when you get there. I transported my fresh antlers in the back of my truck swaddled in sleeping bags and pillows.

The guide stripped the velvet off our antlers and put the skull-cap in the river for the antlers to harden, when in northern Quebec. We didn't have the option in camp.
As stated above talk to your taxadermist.

Good Luck with your hunt

I used denatured alcohol. With an awl or knife point, you poke holes in the velvet and in the tips. Spray liberally and hang tip down. Did this for about three days. Spray it 2-4 times a day. That was 10 to 15 years ago. Still good. It dry's up the blood and sticks the velvet to the bone.

I used denatured alcohol. With an awl or knife point, you poke holes in the velvet and in the tips. Spray liberally and hang tip down. Did this for about three days. Spray it 2-4 times a day. That was 10 to 15 years ago. Still good. It dry's up the blood and sticks the velvet to the bone.
I was told by my taxidermist pretty much the same thing Poke a hole in the tips of the antlers let it hang upside down and inject denatured alcohol into the bases with a needle and syringe and it will run the length of the antlers and any excess fluid will drip out of the hole in the tips

I was told by my taxidermist pretty much the same thing Poke a hole in the tips of the antlers let it hang upside down and inject denatured alcohol into the bases with a needle and syringe and it will run the length of the antlers and any excess fluid will drip out of the hole in the tips
It works. I just used a spay bottle. Didn't mess with injection.