Velocity Node Help

I do three shot groups at 100 yards since I am looking for that obvious "tightest group". Then, I will play around with minute changes to the load to see if it gets better. I then experiment with seating depth. If I get good results, then I go for more rounds fired at longer distances looking for acceptable groupings.
I shoot a three shot group myself. But the biggest issue is a barrel that isn't broke in. I load a bit and my shoot group were not good at all initially. But after about 90 rounds down the tube things changed. What I'm saying is you can't hurry the barrel, it will tell you when it's ready. So my advice is feed her with factory for a bit when she starts picking up speed then start testing loads.

Attachments

• Attachment-1.jpeg
    Attachment-1.jpeg
    39.8 KB · Views: 22
Hey everyone,

I'm in my second year of reloading and have been using the 10-shot Satterlee method. This year I put a new 24" Bartlein SS barrel on my Bergara B14 factory action in 7mm rem mag. Components are:
Peterson Brass - virgin
CCI 250 large rifle mag primers
Hogdon H1000 powder
150 grain Barnes TTSX bullets

I started with testing seating depth a few weeks ago and landed on 0.075" off the lands that gave me a 0.75" three-shot group. I did my 10-shot velocity ladder yesterday and got some interesting results. Also a bit disappointed with the velocity. Max load in the Barnes manual is 67.7 grains at 2998 fps. I went up to 68 grains. It looks like the most likely velocity node is between 66.2 and 67.1, but 2800 fps seems super slow for a 150 grain bullet out of a 7RM. I realize the barrel will speed up a bit, so I'm sure that will change.

Thoughts on where I should focus my efforts? Do the two shots at 67.4 and 67.7 represent a speed node, or would you avoid that node due to the drops on either side? Interesting that 68 grains dropped 50 fps from 67.7.

Thanks in advance! View attachment 574765
Thanks for the insight. I'm not seeking speed, but from my understanding of the Satterlee method, the velocity nodes are typically stable as far as a powder charge, and where he finds accuracy, as well. I also can't get to the range often, so trying to be as efficient as possible. I'll likely go back and do 3-5 shot ladders with the information I have now.

A few techniques have been shared. However, there is no one-size-fits-all test. We all have varying experiences and preferences regarding methods. All of them have their place and serve their purpose. I am in no way telling you the right way to do so. I like to collect my data for my application(s).

I have done a modified Satterlee. I might be alone on this, but it works for me. I like to do 2-3 with the same powder charge weight. This serves two purposes: it gives me group potential and consistency in my powder charge weight. In your case, you do not know if you correctly have the correct powder charge on 65.9, 66.5, and 68 - explaining a drop in velocity with an increase in powder charge. Again, this works for me, and I am not trying to convince anyone to do the same. Good luck!

Let your rifle tell you what your max load is.
After you have good chamber formed brass then start working your load up until you find pressure then back off.
This is going to tell you what your actual maximum load is with your powder and barrel combo.
You should be able to find a good load with 150's around 3100-3250fps

Recent Posts