Value needed on Rem 700 SS 300 RUM.

Roughrice

Got a chance to pick up a J-Lock Rem700 SPS BDL Stainless with plastic stock in 300 RUM.
Has a VX-II 3-9x50 and probably not shot a lot but looks rode hard and put up rough.

What's it worth?

looks rode hard and put up rough.

What's it worth?

I would be cautious! I know people who treat their guns like any other tool and it shows. I would be skeptical, if you really want it make sure you inspect it very well, including a borescope inspection. Since the scope is a Leupold it's worth something but it may have been (probably was) treated as badly as the rifle. I would start at the 60% value in the blue book and go from there. Good luck!

Thanks.
It's at a pawn shop and is displayed just as it was brought in... dirty as heck with light scratches and nicks.
Was actually more interested in it for the action and it does have some scope value but I have no real interest in the 300 RUM barrel.

The asking price is 600 but they aren't willing to move off of that despite my haggle with behind the seat truck gun condition.
Seems to me the stainless magnum action would be worth $450 minimum. Figure at least $75 for the bottom metal and if you have a need for the scope and maybe the rings then $600 seems like a decent price. Who cares about the dirt.

There are a few RUM actions on here for sale. For that price, you wouldn't be getting a rifle, but a custom or customized action.

For $600, it is probably is fair as mentioned for parts, however to take advantage of a RUM, it needs to be longer than the factory cuts it for. By the time you do all that, you could have had a custom action. Since you want a different cartridge, may be worth it. Most RUMs do not get shot very often unless they are braked. May be dirty, but may still function just fine. Clean up the barrel and it may be a shooter. Get a clamp on brake and you will fall in love with the RUM. You'll want another barrel and brake to make it your own. Careful, you get a little RUM in ya and ya just can't stop.

Give it a good look over. It's pretty hard to kill that action. I might buy it at that, as the parts are worth that or more, but I already have 2 300rum and 1 7rum...
As to the factory barrel not being long enough, I'm getting better than 3300 fps on a 180 or 3,000 fps on a 225 if a 300rum; who cares if I'm loosing a few fps from what you could get? My 14" bbl'd 7-08 is 300 fps down from a rifle and it kills just fine.

I have a couple factory Rem 700 SAUM barrels sitting around and just had a thought of completing another since I have everything for reloading already.
However… not sure how well a SAUM would feed from the RUM BDL.
I have model factory 7 and 700 short actions that feed fine and my son has one in a long action Origin with center feed mag that works fine.

I agree the rifle probably hasn't been shot much due to recoil, but the bolt jeweling shows it has been cycled quite a bit… probably more from hunting and unloading.