Using the 55 gr. Nosler BT in the 6mm BR

panhandlepr

As I go through the different threads, I can't seem to find anyone who is loading the 55 gr Nosler BT in this cartridge. Am I missing something or is this bullet a waste of time in this cartridge? I planned on using this bullet in my new rifle but looks like it is not very popular, Has anyone tried this bullet and if so, what load has proven to work well in your rifle. The barrel I have ordered is a 1 in 12" twist and that is what Shilen has recommended. Did I make a mistake by building around this bullet? Rifle will be used for a varmint rifle for P-dogs and coyotes. Thanks

I would have built it on an 8" twist so it could be a legitimate long range gun but it would be fun with a slower twist too. I have one 6br in a 14" twist and have gotten 3750 fps out of the 55 grain bullets. A friend of mine has a longer barrel than mine and he gets 3900+ fps with AA2230. It's killer on p-dogs out to 600 or 700 yards but my fast twist BR will double that distance quite easily.

6br

Hi i have a factory Rem 243 VLS that i rechambered and cut the barrel to 22" it shoots the 55gr's at3400fps they are awsome.

Cheers Bill
Australia

Panhandle,

you made a good choice by going with the 1-12 twist. You will still be able to shoot the longer bullets. My buddie has a 30" 1-12 twist barrel on his 6BR, and he uses the 95grn Berger VLD wih excellent results. However, for varminting, his favorite load consistits of the 70grn Ballistic Tip with 32.5grns VV-N135. He pushes the 70grn BT at 3550fps and it is deadly on varmints out to 700 yards. He liked the 95grn Berger VLD's, however, when he would hit the varmints, they would craw back into their holes. He said even though he has to adjust a bit more for elevation and windage, the 70grn BT puts the varmints down much better and provides the splat factor that he likes.

I like the VLD type higher BC bullets too, however, they do not have the same kill power as the poly tipped bullets. For varmints out to 1000 yards, I will always try to find the highest BC poly tipped bullet that will shoot in my rifle. But if I am shooting past 1000 yards, than I will start going for the Match Kings, A-Max's, Berger VLD, Scenars, ect. Most of my varminting is done between 50 to 800 yards, so the higher BC bullets are not nessessary.

If most of your varminting will be done from 50 to 800 yards, the Ballistic Tip's. V-Max's, Blitzkings, ect will work perfect, and they will also send your varmints into the air. My new varmint rig, I am having buit, is being designed around and will push the 110grn V-Max and 125grn Ballistic Tip at 4000+fps.

Once again, you made a good choice with the 1-12 twist barrel. You should be able to shoot bullets from 55grns all the way up to the 95grn Berger. Have fun blowing up varmints.

W.

I had one several years ago and lovd it! I shot the 55gr. nosler exclusively.
35 grs. of accurate 2230. with a muzzle velocity of 3900 fps. it seldom missed out to 400 yds. at the prairie dog towns with my furthest hit bing just over 700yds. That being said I was bit by the long range bug and enjoy ultra long shots more than the redness factor. I would go with a slow twist 6mmbr over a slow twist 22-250 any day of the week.

Well, good luck on your project.

308nate

As I go through the different threads, I can't seem to find anyone who is loading the 55 gr Nosler BT in this cartridge. Am I missing something or is this bullet a waste of time in this cartridge? I planned on using this bullet in my new rifle but looks like it is not very popular, Has anyone tried this bullet and if so, what load has proven to work well in your rifle. The barrel I have ordered is a 1 in 12" twist and that is what Shilen has recommended. Did I make a mistake by building around this bullet? Rifle will be used for a varmint rifle for P-dogs and coyotes. Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.