Using Artificial Intelligence

Sitting here laughing at the idea of an ai combing the web for publicly available load data from forum posts over the last 25 years....

Some physics defying numbers if there ever was....

The "My new and improved cartridge can hang with one 20 grains higher" because "efficiency" and "shoulder angle".... would make for interesting data.

I wouldn't. LLMs prefer giving false information over saying they can't generate a high confidence answer. If you're asking a LLM about reloading you probably aren't going to catch the things that sound correct but are wrong, potentially dangerously wrong.

Current AI is a language engine that learns from what it has scanned. Using AI for reloading is inviting all the stupidity of every liar on the Internet to affect your load data.
I think about the number of times I've read about someone getting 338 Lapua at 3000fps MV using a 300gr bullet in a 26" barrel, with no pressure signs. :rolleyes:

Use published or known sources = wise move.

Who took over the code base?
When I think about using AI for reloading I think it would be based on what you and your weapon system are doing and experiencing. You would have to use sensors to measure things such as velocity and pressure. The reloading process might measure and enter powder charge weight, bullet seating force and depth, neck diameter and inside neck texture. You would enter group size or perhaps have an app measure X and Y coordinates of the bullet impact. And so on .....

Getting results off the internet I view as information mining.

You guys can try it just like I did, and posted. You know, rather than speculating.

It gets kind of wild.

It's there. I agree that I wouldn't trust it quite yet, or maybe never.
I also think it could be dangerous for a newb to try to learn on.
Like many of you, I have my procedures down to a science.

That said, some experienced reloaders on here might be mess around with it and see for themselves what the AI can come up with…

…like you can do it right this second and see for yourself.

Not sure about QL but if GRT was accurate... I would have blown my gun up several times by now. Not sure what is off but I'm using a pretty mild charge of StaBall 6.5 with a 130 Grain Hornady Interlock. The app says I'm overpressured. No evidence at all on the brass or bolt lift. No evidence from the recoil.

I was pretty disappointed. For the 270 loads I've tried to develop... it is more or less useless.
One or two of your input variables had to be off. GRT output is based on what you put in. If the powder burned faster than what you were using, seating depth was deeper, or even chamber dimensions were tighter, you could have issues.

I use it as a tool to research powders, and get a rough estimate of pressure and velocity. I would never use it to find the max powder charge, etc.

Current AI is a language engine that learns from what it has scanned. Using AI for reloading is inviting all the stupidity of every liar on the Internet to affect your load data.
I think about the number of times I've read about someone getting 338 Lapua at 3000fps MV using a 300gr bullet in a 26" barrel, with no pressure signs. :rolleyes:

Use published or known sources = wise move.

Who took over the code base?
They have assembled a continuation team and I understand its been quite a task. Supposed to have improved features. I don't know much of the details. Looking forward to its release. I also heard they are working on a phone app but I don't know how much progress they've made. I've been busy here haven't been able to keep up. They had planned on apple, windows, and Linux versions

ChatGPT's response for the query "I need a reloading recipe for 7mm PRC with Hodgdon Retumbo powder and a Hornady 175 ELDX bullet."

Certainly! Here's a basic reloading recipe for the 7mm PRC using Hodgdon Retumbo powder and Hornady 175 ELD-X bullets. Please ensure you start at the lowest charge and work up carefully to find the best load for your specific rifle.

7mm PRC Reloading Recipe

• Bullet: Hornady 175 gr ELD-X
  • Powder: Hodgdon Retumbo
  • Primer: Recommended primers for this caliber include Federal 215 or CCI 250 (large rifle magnum primers are generally preferred for this type of load)
  • Brass: 7mm PRC brass (Hornady or other high-quality brass)

Powder Charge and COL (Cartridge Overall Length)

1. Starting Load:
    • Powder Charge: 72.0 grains of Hodgdon Retumbo
  2. Maximum Load:
    • Powder Charge: 76.0 grains of Hodgdon Retumbo
    • COL: 3.340 inches (as above, verify with your chamber)

Steps:

1. Case Preparation:
    • Resize and de-prime the brass.
    • Clean the cases thoroughly.
    • Prime the cases with your chosen large rifle magnum primers.
  2. Powder Charge:
    • Measure the powder charge using a precise scale and powder thrower.
    • Start with the starting load and work up in 0.5-grain increments to the maximum load.
  3. Seating the Bullet:
    • Seat the bullet to the recommended COL, or adjust based on your rifle's chamber.
    • Use a bullet seating die to achieve the desired seating depth.
  4. Safety Checks:
    • Inspect each cartridge for consistency.
    • Ensure there are no visible signs of over-pressure or issues such as bulging or flattened primers.
  5. Testing:
    • Test your loads at the range, starting with the lowest charge and working up.
    • Observe for accuracy and pressure signs, adjusting as necessary.

Notes:

• Always cross-reference with the latest Hodgdon reloading data and any other reliable sources.
  • Individual rifles may have different optimal loads, so thorough testing is essential.
  • Keep safety as a priority and follow all reloading guidelines and safety procedures.
If you have specific barrel length or other details about your rifle, that might also affect load development.

All of the info is boiler plate reloading advice, so that's good, but the charge weights are ludicrously high. Like 7STW high...Hodgdon reloading.com gives 70.0 grains as max load for 175 Nosler ABLR in 7PRC...

A little scary...