TTSX failure to expand in 7MM STW

comen

I loaded a couple of boxes of 140 gr. TTSX for my brother's Sako 7mm stw. 83.5 grains of H1000 gave us 3345 at 18'. Very accurate, we got 3 shots in 13/16" at 300 meters at the range. He shot a nice muley buck this fall with this load 4 times! Buck was moving intermittently, angled a little toward him. first shot @320 or so; buck kept moving. second shot at about 250, same result, third shot at roughly the same distance, same result. The 4th shot at 190 yards dropped the buck. He thought he had missed the first 3 shots, but when he took the deer to the processor he had hit it all 4 times; Three shots were clustered behind the shoulder into a little over 2", a 4th shot was a little further back, this shot shattered a rib, quartered back and pierced the liver, broke a couple more ribs, and was recovered in the offside ham. This bullet mushroomed to about .291, and the tip was gone. The other three were 7mm in and 7mm out, not recovered, but no apparent sign of expansion. Has this happened to anyone else? Maybe we got a super hard box of bullets?

I have had good results with the TTSX's. They were moving plenty fast to expand. Those that use the TTSX's seem to like them. Hard to say what happened.... No excuses for them. Just sounds like bullet failure. Bruce

I really was surprised at the results myself. In August I talked my brother into buying multiple boxes of these based on their accuracy (Less than 1/2 the size of accubond groups at the 300 meter range) Now he wants lo load swift a-frames. He has had these in premium factory loads and they did well. He also will only shoot the 140s, which is why I first recommended the TTSX.

I will never load any "B" bullets again. By that I mean Barnes or Bergers. They are both very accurate but after a train wreck on a blonde phase black bear with Barnes & another train wreck with Bergers on a small cow elk & the biggest mulie buck I have ever had a chance at, you will not see them on my reloading bench.
Nosler & Hornady & Sierra bullets work!
Thanks, Kirk

140 tsx have had no trouble expandin out of my stw on 8 antelope the last two years from 75 to 500 yards. TTSX should be even less of a worry.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.